NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Memories of a struggling artist

Back in the sixties, when I was on a scholarship at the Ontario College of Art in Toronto, I used to enjoy spending my spare time in the evenings in the hippy area, which has now become a classy place for boutiques and upscale eateries. In the earlier times, it was like Greenwich Village in New York.

I've always been a firm believer in the importance of being able to draw anything and everything with skill and confidence. I got good enough, that I was able to do quick sketches of the varied visitors who came to "Yorkville" on a night out, and made a few bucks for my pen and ink sketches. Many commented on why I would use ink instead of pencil or charcoal. I explained that working in ink required more skill, because it did not provide the option to correct errors. In other words, you better get it right the first time.

It was a comfortable summer evening when two overly stylish women approached me and watched me working, when one of ladies introduced herself.

"Hi. I'm Sarah, and this is my friend Jessy. You are really good at this."

"I agree," said Jessy. "Very good as a matter of fact."

"We are members of the Jewish Yacht Club on Toronto Island, and we are having a hippy party this weekend, and we were wondering if you would like to come and do your thing at the club. There will be really good food, and any money you make for your sketches you will get to keep. We won't even charge you a commission."

"How do I get there? It is on an island."

"The ferry boat will pick you up at the pier. We will have paid for your fare."

"Oh by the way, will you be sure to wear your outfit for the evening."

"What outfit?"

"What you have on now. You know, your hippy shirt and paint spattered pants. And those crazy beat out runners."

"Ladies! This is what I always wear when I'm working, so if you want to change your mind, I would understand."

"Oh no...please we didn't want to offend you. Please come."

And I did. And I'll tell you later how it turned out.

View some of my art by clicking here www.noozoon.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home