NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Freement by William James Johnson Chapter 25

The citizens of Chathurst were in shock when they discovered the devastation wrought on their churches and temples. The media reported the event as a rape of their holy places. Everyone was appalled at the malicious desecration and outrageous graffiti which despoiled their sanctuaries.
On my orders, all Freementers went underground. In an attempt to get back at me, Rick had joined forces with my enemy on campus, Chuck Earnshaw. Together, with some of his yellow and whites they raided our Lighthouse Mission. One of Chuck's former supporters who had defected to me, warned me of the raid. I notified the police about the imminent attack and told them these guys were the same group which had wrecked the churches. Under terrific public pressure to find a lead on the vandalism outbreak, the police were excited to receive my anonymous phone call.
From across the street, Stu and I watched the cops bust fat Earnshaw and his yellow and white sheep into three police vans. They were charged with causing malicious damage. In all, it only amounted to a couple of broken windows and a busted door. They failed in their efforts to convince the police, their attack on
our centre was in retaliation for our desecration of the churches. Apparently Rick spilled his guts, but to no avail. No one would believe his fantastic story about the Freementers.
Nothing could be done unless we were caught, and I wasn't going
to let that happen. Those who helped in our raid continued spreading my theories, and Freement's influence was being felt in every home. Parents didn't know how to explain to their children what it was they feared. They only knew that somewhere in their midst, an uncontrollable cancer was spreading, and like organic cancer, they had that sickening feeling that given enough time, it would destroy them.
During the remainder of that school year, and the following summer, Freement stayed underground. I conducted meetings with small groups under the very noses of the parents who feared me. They were so sure nothing would ever happen to their own families, they didn't bother to enquire into the activities which took place in their rec rooms while they were out. If parents came in while we were having a meeting, I gave the impression we were discussing philosophy, and they seemed pleased their children were at last taking life seriously.
Stu and I developed a hard core of discussion leaders during the summer, and when time to return to school came, my Freement movement was strong enough to continue on its own. I quit pushing my theories at University because I sensed I was being watched very closely. I didn't have to rely on convincing these pseudo intellectuals of the merits of my philosophy. I had the teenagers hooked on my permissive way of life, and the ideas of Freement were spreading like a forest fire through the dried up tinder of Chathurst mores.
A committee was organized in the city to counteract my influence by providing better activities for the young people, but the kids resented this interference by their parents in their lives even more than before.What the parents failed to realize, was that Freement treated these young people as responsible adults, and once they tasted liberty, they were not going to be vamped back into the artificial controls from which they had escaped.
We were no longer restricted to the Skid Row area. Youth groups throughout the city were invaded by staunch Freementers. PTA groups were alarmed by the outbreak of delinquency in their schools. More and more editorials appeared damning the originator of these cruel principles. I ridiculed all this fuss over my ideas. Parents tried desperately to convince their children of the danger of my philosophy, and yet none of these parents attended my meetings. It was the same as it was when I was growing up. Many parents insisted on their children attending church, while they wouldn't bother going themselves. I was sure that if adults had taken the time to learn about my way of life, many of them would've welcomed the destruction of their hypocritical existence, and chosen a more liberated lifestyle.
Our first attack on the churches had been sufficient to convince the people of Chathurst that Freement was a serious movement. Many of the congregations employed night watchmen to protect their premises from vandalism, but a year and a half after that fateful night, even this practice was discontinued. My own low profile at University was also lulling that element into passivity. I felt the time was right to focus attention on our group again. We met at Ma Rooney's.
"I've got a special job for you guys. You're going to have to do it alone, because I'd be recognized. There's an off-beat religious group in this town that so far, has been spared the wrath of Freement. The time has come for us to strike at their hypocritical heart."
"The City of God?" asked Stu.
"You've guessed it. Sunday night I want that place filled with Freementers. Spread out, and bring them in from all over the city. I don't want anyone recognized. When they get there, mingle with Burney's sheep. When Mac gets to the part where all the lights go out, that'll be the signal to strike. He tries to scare hell out of his people at that time. I expect you to make it a real hell."
"How far do you want us to go?"
"All the way. Don't leave a stone standing. Burn it. Convert that phoney hell into a flaming inferno."
"But what about the people? Some of them are going to get hurt. We might get hurt too."
"Not if you force them out before you torch it. Stu, I'm leaving it up to you to organize it, but I don't want you there. You're too valuable to risk."
"Okay Marty. What about Burney?"
"He'll run like everyone else."
"And what'll you be doing when all this goes down?"
"Establishing my alibi. Good luck guys."
After classes on Friday, I stopped by Dr. Woltmann's office.
"What's the problem Mr. Martindale?"
"No problem sir. As you know, we have to complete our fall term essays this week, and I could sure use you're help on mine. I was wondering if you might be available Sunday evening to discuss it with me?"
"Why wait until Sunday. I could see you tomorrow."
"I won't be quite ready tomorrow. Sunday would be better."
"Then Sunday it is. How about eight?"
"Thank you professor. I'll be here at eight."
By Saturday afternoon, all was prepared. Fifty Freementers had been selected. The day of reckoning for Macdonald Burney drew near. I briefed Stu on my alibi. and eagerly waited for the end of the "City of God".
Sunday evening I met Dr. Woltmann in his office where I presented my thesis on why I felt the stigma of Original Sin thwarted the freedom of man, and we spent a couple of hours debating my theory.
Shortly after ten, I heard the distant wail of a fire siren. It could mean only one thing. They had succeeded. I looked at my watch. Woltmann checked his too."
"My word, it's after ten."
"Where'd the time go?"
"That's what I like about discussions like this," he said. "You lose the sense of time passing. It's a very interesting essay John. You'll do well on it once you rewrite parts of it for effectiveness."
"Thanks a lot professor. You were a great help."
There was another siren, rushing towards town, with its long, haunting wail. I was hoping desperately the fires of hell were now consuming the City of God.
"Sounds like a fire downtown."
"Yes it does."
"Thanks again Dr. Woltmann for giving me so much of your time."
"Pleased to help. I'm particularly glad it's you John."
"Why do you say that?"
"I've noticed a great change in you this semester. No more of that Freement foolishness. I'm glad to see you've outgrown that protest phase."
"I haven't completely. But as you've said, there's no reason I should disrupt the lives of others just because I have doubts."
I returned to my room at Ma Rooney's and waited for Stu. He came in a little after midnight.
"Well...How'd it go?"
"Perfect. The City of God looks like Hell. I watched it from across the street. The gang caused a terrific riot. Everyone got out though."
"And Burney'?"
"They took him to the hospital. He got burned pretty bad."
"Good...Good I'm glad."
"Jesus Marty! He could have been killed."
" It's better this way. The sonofabitch got what he deserved. All that bullshit about burning in the fires of hell. He got exactly what he deserved, a taste of his own medicine."
"You hate him that much?"
"More than you'll ever know. Without Mac Burney, I doubt there would be a Freement."
"Then why do you say you hate him?"
"Because there are a lot of things about Freement I don't like. Burney and all the other religious fanatics like him polarize people like me. We don't give in to their fundamentalism. We just fight back. He's the one that has made me reject myself and form the Freement idea."
"Jesus, the way you're talking, you sound like you hate yourself almost as much as you hate him."
"Between you and me Stu I think you1re right. That's what's happened. That's what vengeance can do to a person. Someday, I might let you in on the whole story. Believe me, there are things I could tell you that would make you wretch. Dying would have been too good for Burney. Let the bastard suffer. He's caused so much of it himself."
The morning papers reported the attack.
"The City of God and the stores on each side of it were destroyed Sunday night by fire. The pastor, Reverend Macdonald Burney was seriously hurt during a riot which broke out at his service. The church, which was in the old Grotto Theatre was completely destroyed by fire, when spotlights on stage were smashed by a group of young people who had infiltrated the congregation. Reverend Burney told police he was convinced it was the work of Freementers, the same group alleged to have desecrated fourteen churches in Chathurst several months ago. Police are
investigating."
By noon on Monday, I was placed in campus custody and ordered to appear before a board of University staff members, chaired by the president, Dr. Murray Both. Included on the panel, was chief inspector Wayne Hillman of the Chathurst arson squad When word of my arrest spread, hundreds of Freementers skipped classes and crowded the halls outside the hearing room.
Dr. Both began the questioning.
"Mr. Martindale, you have been accused of establishing a subversive movement on campus which has spread its devastating influence among the young people of our city. Many believe it was on your orders that several churches were vandalized a year and a half ago. All of this apparently has something to do with your so called Freement movement to destroy religion. Last night, you and your thugs attacked another place of worship, and destroyed it, almost killing the pastor, Reverend Macdonald Burney..."
"Hold it Doctor. Do I get a chance to speak or are you going to do all the talking?"
"Why you..."
"Let me handle this Doctor Both." said inspector Hillman. "Martindale, we've been waiting a long time to get something on you. If I had my way, you'd still be doing time for your last attack on the churches. Dr. Both has suggested we handle this matter differently."
"How do you mean differently?"
"We all realize you've had a terrific influence on our teenagers, and attacking you personally may cause more harm than good. Therefore, we hope that by seeing what a terrible destruction of our young people these ideas of yours have caused, you will help us straighten them out."
"Me?"
"Yes. You're the only one who can help us turn this mess around."
"How?"
"We will let you remain free, if you will get your followers together and tell them you realize how wrong you've been. We want you to work with us to give our kids the proper way to live."
"Ha, Ha, Ha,...It's not them you're worried about. It's yourselves. You're trying to save your own asses."
The president became livid. "We don't have to take this abuse."
"Watch it Doc. You'll bust a blood vessel."
Inspector Hillman calmed the president and tried to get at me from another angle.
"Burney identified you last night as the leader of that mob."
"He's a goddamn liar."
Other staff members were shocked by my language. Dr. Marshall put in her two cents worth. "Martindale is an egotistical exhibitionist. Everything he says is chosen carefully for its shock effect. I have no doubt this young man is mentally unbalanced."
Jumping up from my chair, I slammed my hand down on the table in front of Marshall.
"This frustrated bitch has been trying to get even with me ever since I made her look like a retard in front of her students. She's as vindictive as Mac Burney."
"That's not true. I've been watching you over the past few years, and what I've said is for your own good."
"You're a liar like Burney. There are several students outside this room who will swear that what I said about your class is true."
"Sit down and shut up Mr. Martindale. I will not let this hearing degenerate into a shouting match between you and my staff"
"Hillman's got nothing on me."
"You were identified as the leader of the mob."
"How could I be.? I was here with Dr. Woltmann last night. In fact we heard the sirens."
"Is he telling the truth?" asked Hillman.
"Yes. We had a long discussion about his term essay. I remember we heard the sirens, and I checked my watch. It was a little after ten o'clock."
"Now who is the liar inspector?" I asked.
"Well if you weren't there, I know you can tell us who was. If you'll come clean, we'll take it easy on you."
"Jesus. You sound like a cop in a ‘B' grade movie."
The president begged me. "Please Mr. Martindale. You've got to help us. This university has a good reputation, but you and your Freement ideas are ruining it. You are right. We are concerned about ourselves. But we are also gravely concerned about the devastation we see in our youth community. Young people who use your concepts have become prostitutes, addicts, thieves, and who knows probably even murderers. You've got to help us stop this violence before it destroys our lives."
"Don't load me with your guilt. The evil you have described has always been with you. It was your hypocrisy which has covered it up all these years. You may despise what my teachings are doing to your children, but you have blindly allowed your religious prohibitions to create generations of frustration because of your Judaeo-Christian ethic, a system of morality based upon the false premise that our world was created from nothing. How can you expect anything else when you endorse this historical lie."
" I've tried to give your children the truth. As with all revolutions, in the beginning, there are bound to be distortions of these truths. That is why you are seeing these perverse behaviours. Give it time. As my followers develop more
experience about themselves, they will begin to realize that knowledge is what gives freedom, not blind faith. When this knowledge is consolidated, you will see them return to a moral way of life based on social need, not religious compulsion."
"It is this same glibness which has seduced our young," said Dr. Both.
"Look who's pointing the accusing finger. Even your remarks clearly show your prejudice against Freement. Without knowing the basis for my thinking, you characterize it as glibness, and my influence on your children has to be through seduction...Come on you guys. Give me a break. Either talk sense, or let's end this
ridiculous charade."
"He's crazy," said Marshall. "The man's evil. If we don't stop him now, there's no saying what horrible future awaits us."
"What do you want me to do about it?" asked Dr.Toth.
"Expel him. Let the public know that we have found this dreadful person and we have thrown him out of our university."
"I can't believe this," I said. "Do you think that Freement needs this place to do his work? Why don't you all grow up for Chrissake and see that I'm only trying to bring to an end at last, this horrendous damage caused by academics like you. Now
that I have hundreds of followers out there, there's no stopping me."
"May I suggest we give John a chance to express the ideas he has been telling our young people," said Dr. Woltmann.
"Never. I forbid it. I'll not tolerate his lies anymore. I want you off campus...and I want it now."
"You're condemning me without a hearing. What are you trying to do, make a Christ out of me?"
"I'm condemning you on the product of your theories, the cancer that devours the spirit of our young. I ask God to thrust you into Hell where you belong, to burn with the other monsters who spread sin in our world."
I clapped my hands when he was finished. "Bravo...Get yourself a bible and you'll make a mint."
He struck me in the face twice. I made no attempt to defend myself. The utter frustration on his face was worth the momentary pain.
"And now my friends...good day."
In the corridor outside the hearing, a loud roar went up as I appeared. Everyone wanted to touch me and congratulate me as I passed between them.
Outside, Stu waited for my report.
"How'd it go?"
"Better than I expected. A cop claimed Burney saw me at the fire and I was soon able to squelch that. These guys are running scared. They're beginning to realize at last that their kids are now taking control, and it scares the hell out of them. Both expelled me."
"I'm sorry Marty."
"I'm not. Getting a degree and playing their silly games doesn't turn me on anymore. All I want to do now, is concentrate on developing the Freement movement. That's going to be my life's work."
"The cops will be on you all the time."
"True. That's why we've got lots to do and I mean like right now."
"Where do we start?"
"Tonight I want as many Freementers as possible to meet in that abandoned schoolyard outside of town where route seven and twenty-one cross. Tell them I'll be there with a message which will shake this city off its hypocritical foundations."
They had called me anti-Christ. Of course I was against Christ. I was against all his teachings that made man less human. He had given man only one commandment ‘love thy neighbour'. Man is too vicious to love his fellow man. There is no love only greed. I could see that the recognition of what man truly is, frees man to pursue his main goal in life the satisfaction of needs.
Stu had come through again for me. Hundreds and hundreds of teenagers had come to the meeting. Cars circling the huge gathering flashed their lights over the throng. Two of my followers had dragged an old out-house into the centre of the
schoolyard for me to use as my podium. As I came through the crowd they cheered, reaching out to touch me. I felt like Jesus entering Jerusalem. Stu walked beside
me. He was my St. Peter. If anything happened to me I knew Stu would take my place. Together we would lead the people of the world to mental freedom.
"Welcome loyal Freementers. We are winning the battle for men's minds. I've asked you to come here tonight because my time is at hand. Today I was expelled. Tomorrow I may be persecuted. But I'm not afraid. Freement is willing to die for his movement."
A loud roar went up from the mob. It was electrifying.
"The only thing I fear, is that I may die in vain. Promise me you will not let your leader give his life in vain. Promise me you'll devote your lives to making all men free."
The shouts were overwhelming. "We promise. We promise."
"I wish to leave you what I call my Freement code. The first of my rules opposes the rule of Moses requiring children to Honour their Mother and Father. Under the old system, your parents were progenitors of slaves. I order you to despise
these slave makers. Get out from under their control as soon as you can. If you have younger brothers and sisters still under this former control, help them become independent. If you want to be free, you must be willing to seize your freedom. No one is going to give it to you...certainly not your parents."
"Moses also commanded his people not to steal. Can't you see. our capitalistic system is based on stealing? Our system condones the exploitation of the masses, while at the same time giving lip service to our Judaeo-Christian ethic. Freement urges you to destroy this insidious double standard. Take what you need if the need is strong enough. Don't load up your mind with ridiculous guilt because you are only trying to survive."
"Adultery is another one of the Jewish leader's prohibitions. What utter nonsense. You are all going to get whatever kind of sex you desire, so why precondition yourself for the psychiatrist's couch in the future. Accept any and all sexual conduct as the natural course of man's development. Different strokes for different folks. Anything goes dear Freementers. You are either free, or you're pretending. Remember what I told you before, man must destroy his conscience, and this requires hard decisions to deliberately go against this internal watchdog, this
‘Hound of Heaven'. Adultery does not exist. A true Freementer does what he can to help a fellow Freementer get the satisfaction he seeks. Screw your way to freedom my friends. Plant the seed of Freement in all the little virgins who come your way. The future is yours, take it."
"And I've had a difficult time with the commandment, ‘Thou shalt not kill.' It was difficult, because our present system legislates when we can legitimately kill. War is okay, but murder is not. Do you see what a contradiction this is. Freement does not urge you to kill your fellow man. There is such a thing as justifiable killing. This is probably the ultimate test of your freedom. To take the life of another person is no easy decision, but when you are truly free, you can make this decision without remorse. Your free mind will tell you when there is no other choice for you. It is not wrong if it is absolutely necessary. You will understand this new commandment better when your situation demands it. Killing is a natural function of a progressive society."
"I know many of you are thinking I'm being too extreme. You cannot be a true Freementer without making your prime objective the destruction of your own conscience. Following my code of conduct will bring this about. It will not come easily. Only by combatting the years of conditioning will you understand what
true freedom means. It is my sincere hope, that once you have reached this unshackled existence, you will do whatever you can to help all men be truly free.
"There will be no need to go against conscience as you now must do. There will be no conscience. Man will be able to focus his attention on satisfying his many
needs. Out of all of this, I see a new world. Freement is not advocating crime. I want my new world to be a world devised by free men who will arrive at the necessary position of social morality which will help society prosper. But pay close attention
to what I have called it. It is ‘social morality', not religious morality."
"I want to leave you with one rule in your life. As Jesus said 'Love one another', Freement says, 'Love Thyself First,' and then it will follow, that you will love one another. There are going to be very difficult times ahead, but I'm counting on you to be there when you are needed. Go in peace with the love of freedom forever in your heart."
The ovation was ear rending. A tidal wave of accord wafted through the night air, as my followers realized this might be our last great gathering. I knew many of them would return to their former ways of living, because they couldn't stand the strain of battling the system. There was also a large hard core of young people who wanted to be a part of my revolution, and they would continue the fight.
The remaining two months before my capture were extremely hectic. Secret meetings were not as secret as I had hoped, and twice before I was finally caught, I narrowly managed to get away. Now it's over for awhile. I am a captive of the very thing I was trying to destroy. It won't last. My followers will free me.

Read more of William James Johnson's writing by clicking here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home