NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Freement by William James Johnson Chapter 19

After the holidays, classes resumed. I continued visiting Skid Row. Stu and Rick began wondering where I was going so often, and followed me one night to the "Ace". I was talking with Donna when they entered. She sensed I was upset seeing them, and offered to take me to the back room. Not realizing how it must look, I followed her. Stu caught a glimpse of me as Donna opened the door to the corridor.
"Hey Marty. Where you goin' buddy?"
Donna tugged at me, but I decided to face them.
"Hi guys."
"Why don't you bring your friends to my room?" said Donna.
"Yeah! Why don't we come with you?" asked Stu.
"Sure you don't mind?" I asked Donna.
"Any friend of yours, is a friend of mine."
Stu was leering uncontrollably behind Donna's back. I nudged him with my elbow.
"What the hell's wrong with you? I asked.
"Aren't you the sly one?"
"Cut out the games, and get to the point Stu."
"Can't say I blame you. She's a living doll."
"It's not what you think."
"Marty and me are old friends."
"Wish to hell I had an old friend who looked that good."
"It's true fellows. Donna and I were kids together in high school. Grew up in the same town. This is Stu, and the other guy is Rick."
"Hi guys. Something I can do for you?" She played the part of a slut so well.
Stu extended his hand but Rick remained aloof. He was always lapsing into his self-righteous pose which I resented. This time it really aggravated me.
"Haven't you got enough manners to shake the lady's hand?"
"What lady?"
"Why you little..."
"Leave him alone Johnny." said Donna.
"Why do you come here?" demanded Rick. "Don't you see what'll happen if the others find out. All your work for nothing. Wasting your time with a two bit whore."
I couldn't stand it any longer. I slapped him across the face. Many times a slap is more effective than a punch. "Say one more thing about Donna. and I'm going to climb all over you."
"You must have a reason Marty, or you wouldn't be doing it," said Stu. "If you want to tell us okay, but as far as I'm concerned, it's nobody's business but yours."
"Sure I've got a reason. I don't mind telling you. You guys all went home for Christmas. I didn't have a place to go so I began roaming around, happy to find any place where people got together. I met Donna by accident. You can understand how good it made me feel to see a familiar face, and a real good friend at that."
"But we're back now. You've got Clara to consider and all the Freementers."
"You guys don't realize. The people who live here on Brush Street in many ways are real Freementers."
"If this is what being a Freementer is all about, it's not for me." said Rick.
"Let me explain. Our aim is to destroy the fear that makes people behave in restricted ways. We want to get rid of the guilt they suffer when they give in to their true natures. These folks don't have that problem. They can always be themselves and because they all live this way there's none of that judging or back biting we see in our society. Granted some of these people are destroying themselves but they made that choice. They have given in to their environment. Remember what I said about how the environment can destroy you if you stop learning how to cope with
it. These people are not to blame for their conduct. It's the circumstances in our society which creates these apparently inordinate appetites. Punishing the afflicted isn't going to solve the problem. We've got to destroy the affliction."
Donna smiled softly as I gave my explanation. I could see Stu was fascinated by her loveliness.
"I see your point" said Rick. "But what can these people teach you?"
"Many of them started like us. Faithful to their religion until it let them down. The disappointment realized when sacred things fail is hard to comprehend unless you've experienced it like Donna and I. You two fellows are trying to change by approaching the problem only from the intellectual side. We have experienced the emotional uprooting caused by failure of our faith."
"But how can Freementers use this?"
"By realizing our conscience can only be changed by positive reaction. We must establish a new criterion for conduct. I've talked about it before but I'm afraid most of my listeners pay only lip service to these ideals. Remember I said man must base the social morality of his acts on the satisfaction of needs. If society permits the circumstances which create the need then it must accept the responsibility for man's actions as he seeks satisfaction. I'll tell my followers to come to Skid Row and see what I mean. Since my ideas will exile us from our present society, we might as well establish ourselves among those other outcasts and learn from them. All I ask is that my disciples temper their desires with knowledge. That is the only way they'll be able to avoid sinking into the quagmire of social decay which makes up this area. I want them to destroy their traditional conscience by going against it. The only way they can be truly free is by denying the guilt which they have experienced in the past. They must continue to do what they used to call ‘sin' until it no longer impacts on their lives."
"Let's look at Donna. She is in a profession which has been with us since the beginning of time. She is not a sinful person as our society would like us to believe. Donna has a very strong sexual appetite and she satisfies it by living a sexual life. Who are we to deny her happiness in pursuing the satisfaction of her needs."
"If Freement ever succeeds, the dissemination of sexual knowledge will be one of the most important aims of our movement. It is only by putting this force back into perspective that man will be able to lessen the misery which exists today. Too many marriages break up because of ignorance of the needs of our partners. Wouldn't it be great if the satisfaction of our sexual desires didn't have to be tied to the marriage bond. But it seems I'm fantasizing now. Man is too priest-ridden to be able to face life in such a realistic way."
Rick's expression had changed from one of apprehensiveness to that of acceptance.
"I don't know how you do it. It seems to make so much sense when you explain it. I just don't know about that part about deliberately going against our conscience to destroy it. That's going to be a difficult one to sell."
"You amaze me Johnny," said Donna. "When you talk like that, it makes me feel good all over. I've never looked at my life like that before."
"I'm just saying what I feel. As Freement, there's no reason I shouldn't be honest. If I can't be honest with myself, how can I expect to be honest with others."
"Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone were this way. No cheating. No hypocritical double talking," said Donna.
"Someday it will be. But man has not evolved far enough yet to permit such behaviour. We are still operating on a double standard. We have Churchianity instead of Christianity. If we turn the other cheek like he taught us, we get it smashed too. Man is reaching the stage where it is too difficult to keep both his faces straight. It is driving him crazy trying to decide who he really is. Destroy religion, and you get rid of the unnatural, hypocritical man. Establish Freement, and the aims of Christ will be realized."
Stu nudged Rick. "See. What did I tell you. There's nothing to worry about.
He's always thinking of the movement."
"Your right. I'm sorry we interrupted you guys," said Rick.
"We better get outa here. I'm sorry for what I said Donna."
"I've heard worse."
They left us in Donna's back room.
"You're some kind of guy."
"In what way?"
"The way you talk. All those ideas. There really is something going on in that head of yours."
"It's my way of sorting out my life I guess."
"How about your girl?"
"Carla?"
"Yes. Does she believe all this stuff."
"I'm not sure. But I'm willing to give her time."
"Sounds like she's got a problem."
"Religion. Like all of us. Clara was raised in a strict, Catholic family like me. Now she's finding it hard to reconcile her religion with the reality of the dog eat dog world out there."
"Are you in love with her?"
"I think so. I can't say for sure. We both seem to be holding back."
"Is she good in the sack"?"
"Why must you always get back to sex?"
"Sex and me are the same thing. You said it yourself. Is she a good lay?"
"I don't know. I haven't tried."
"Don't try too hard Johnny boy. Save some for me. You know how I love pumping you."
I got up to leave. I didn't want to get into a bitter confrontation with Donna.
"I thought we were going to have a little fun tonight."
"I've got to go."
"You will be back?"
"I suppose. Thanks again for letting me get things straight with the guys."
She grabbed me by the groin and squeezed. "I'd rather get you straight with me."
I pulled away. Her aggressiveness antagonized me. But she was doing exactly what I had advocated she do. I really was a hypocrite.
"See you again. Soon."
"Anytime Freement."

I heard her laughing as she closed the door. During the remainder of that winter I continually stressed the importance of being active Freementers. Young people were encouraged to visit Skid Row and observe how other Freementers lived. Clara was not satisfied with my explanation for doing this, thinking it was just an excuse for me to be with Donna. I told her there was one way she could stop me going to the "Ace". All she had to do was realize that I had sexual needs which I would satisfy, one way or another. She said she wanted to be a part of my satisfaction, but she wasn't ready. She kept asking for more time. As long as there was Donna. I didn't pressure her.
The last snow disappeared by the end of March and by mid-April, the balmy spring air was warm enough for going outdoors without a heavy coat. My original cell of Freementers had now expanded to seventy regulars. We had even managed to win over a few of Earnshaw's crowd. They became such enthusiastic supporters I was certain it was only a matter of time before Chuck himself would show up at a meeting.
As I headed for the back room at the Cosmo one Friday night, I was stopped by Rico. "Hate to tell you this kid. but tonight's gonna be the last night you can use that room."
"What's the problem?"
"It's my other customers. Been complaining' you guys are a bunch of Pinkos."
"You know were not. We're customers too."
"I know. I appreciate your business. But you gotta look at it from my point of view. If I let you kids keep using that room, pretty soon I got no other business. What's gonna happen to the Cosmo when you kids are gone? Why not get yourselves a place on Brush Street where you've been hanging out? No one's gonna bitch down there."
"Okay Rico. You've been more than fair."
"Thanks kid. I'm glad you take it the right way."
The back room was packed. Clara and Rick sat in their customary places. Stu called the meeting to order and introduced four new members.
"Thanks Stu. I've got some bad news. Rico tells me this has got to be our last meeting..."
"What the hell do you mean?" said Stu.
"He's been getting complaints about us and he asked me to find another place. He suggested Brush Street."
"Jesus! There are some pretty tough dives along there."
"I realize that, but we've got to move."
"How about the Harmony Bar. It's a few doors down from the Ace."
"We can give it a try. Next Friday we'll all meet at the Harmony. Now that we've got that settled there's something else I'd like to do. For the past three or four months I've been doing most of the talking. You've had enough time to mull over
the Freement ideas and now I think it's time I get some feedback. Who will be the first to tell us how the Freement philosophy is working in their lives?"
It suddenly hit me. This was the sort of tactic Macdonald Burney used. No one came forward and the tension was building. A young girl stood up in the centre of the group.
"I'm not sure how to begin. I used to be so shy, so awkward. My family were very religious. It was my mother's constant harping on religion and her criticism of me that made me this way. Even when I was a little girl she would threaten me with
hell fire when I didn't even know what she was talking about. I came to one of your meetings out of curiosity. You really started me thinking that time at school when you attacked the ten commandments. Listening to you, believing in you, has helped me overcome the fear imposed on me when I was a small child. I'm not completely changed. but your ideas are working. They must be. Five months ago. I wouldn't dare speak like this."
Others followed her example. They all had similar stories to tell. At first they were reluctant to go against their conscience but once they had tried it, they found they were able to do so without suffering pangs of guilt.
"Before closing. I have one more very important idea to discuss with you. I've kept it until now because I had to see if my ideas were working. I knew I could make them work in my own life. I had to see them tried by others. The time has come for us to begin spreading the doctrine of Freement. I know many of you are still not convinced and I don't blame you. I'm not going to insist you accept my ideas blindly like you've had to do with religion. All I ask is that you persevere. Destroy God, and free your minds."
"Now I would like those who feel they are ready to help propagate the philosophy of Freement, to stay for a few minutes while I explain my plan. The rest of you may leave. I hope to see you all again next Friday at the Harmony. Bring a friend."
About a third of the gathering stayed behind. Clara and Rick were anxious to know what I had planned.
"It's very gratifying to see so many willing to take on this important responsibility. Freementers, we are going to win over the youth of Chathurst. High School kids are an ideal objective. They are at an age when they are trying to establish their own identities. The problems of parental control makes them ripe for
the seeds of Freement."
"I propose that teams of two Freementers. preferably of each sex visit these young people during their lunch hours and discuss our ideas with them. Don't be disappointed if you only get a few listeners. Every little bit helps. It is through this cell method that we will gain strength."
"These teenagers are the future parents and if we can get through to them the generations which follow will be born Freementers. But you must be aware of the risk you are taking. Some of these kids will betray you and you will pay a price. You
will be ridiculed, abused, and disappointed. Let's make it work. Give it all we've got until we destroy the Hound of Heaven. And now Stu will explain how you will be organized."
He explained the importance of developing a strong core of new members prior to the summer holidays. We wanted to continue with our ideas during vacation. He suggested the first few visits be used only to observe the students. Invariably there are key personnel in every group and if they can be persuaded the rest follow willingly. My disciples planned to visit the eleven High Schools in Chathurst at least twice a week and their progress would be reported at the Friday night general meetings. It was at these general sessions that new members would first meet their
leader. Stu and I felt the plan would work better if I was kept in the background until they were ready. Wetting appetites with this air of mystery was used by religions with great success. Why shouldn't Freement use the same proven techniques.
When the meeting was over I was very happy with the progress we were making. If we could continue our meetings during the summer we would have a strong nucleus in the fall for making an all out attack on the youth front. We wanted thinking people. Teenagers relish being considered adults. It was up to me to help them destroy their childish fear of God. I am Freement. I have a date with destiny.

Read the biography of William James Johnson by clicking here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home