NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Remembering

The sound of laughter and people partying woke the tiny child. Standing in his crib, he began crying in the darkened room. His loud noises were finally heard and someone opened the door. The light from the living room made him squint as it burst into the nursery. In the front room, he saw the jumbled mass of fat uncle tangled amongst pieces of mahogany splinters. The chair on which he had been sitting was now a bunch of useless fragments. His drink had splashed the wall beside him. Someone offered to help him to his feet.

Soon they were gathering around the crib saying inane things in baby talk, filling the small room with second hand smoke, and the acrid smell of booze. An overweight relative thrust her beefy arms into the crib in an attempt to lift the struggling baby. It was then, my mother took over, and the visitors left the room.

What a strange recollection. I'm not even sure I remember it as it happened, or am I recalling what I was told about it. Apparently I was not even a year old at the time. I am still convinced there is in my memory the picture of someone on the floor in a broken heap of what had been a chair.

View the art of William James Johnson by clicking here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home