NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

So you would like to be an artist

Have you ever been at a swinging party, and one of the revellers sits down at the piano and begins playing all the tunes being requested? And you whisper "Gawd I wish I could play the piano". Or you are in a small group of friends and one of them confesses he is writing a novel, and you say outloud, "Me too. I haven't started yet. But I' got a great idea that I will write someday." Or you are at the opening of a friend's Art Exhibition, and again you do some soul searching about why you never pursued the art talent your grade six teacher praised.

Here's your chance to revisit that latent creativity, since I am going to teach you how to become an artist. I began showing drawing talent when I was nine years old, and at age 41, went into the high school principal's office and submitted my resignation as Chairman of Art.

"But what are you going to do without a steady income?"

"I'm going to go into my studio and pursue my new career as a professional artist."

"Well Bill, when you get down to your last crust of bread, come back and see us.
I hate to see a good teacher quit like this."

"Someday Ray, I will be a famous artist, and you will always be just a high school principal."

Not exactly the classiest resignation on record. I am now 77, and still painting. The Dictionary of Canadian Art states that I am known for outstanding portrait painting. My art is now in permanent collections of several galleries. My abstracts are in Japan, UK, and corporate offices in the United States. Dreaming about doing something does not make it happen.

I will respond to your questions on art if you forward them in the comment section of this blog. In fact I welcome other artists to reply to your comments so that we can make this a co-operative learning experience.
You can view my bio and art work by clicking here,www.noozoon.com

1 Comments:

Blogger The Atavist said...

Great idea Bill. Here is an excellent chance for artist-wannabees to 'sit at the feet of the master' and tap into your knowledge and experience.

8:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home