NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Concentration

Learning to do something you have never done before, requires concentration. I guess this is the reason I never took up playing golf. From the beginning I wasn't sure if I was naturally right handed or left. It really didn't matter much. I couldn't make the club head strike the ball no matter how I went at it. Then there was the instruction on how I should grip the club. The way I did it, you would think I was spastic from birth. Oh and don't forget to keep your head down when you swing. Again it was deja vu. I didn't have to see what the club and the ball were doing. So seldom did they come in contact, you would think they had never met before.

Okay if not golf, then why this wordy preamble. I want to stress the importance of concentration when it comes to learning how to draw. Here is your first lesson in contour drawing. Don't think of this term "contour" as being limited to the outside of edges only. .

What I want you to do, is select a window with a view which interests you, and acquire a felt pen which can be used on glass. Make sure the ink in the pen is removable after your exercise. Here's where concentration is essential. Study the scene outside your window, letting your eye understand all the nuances (tricky stuff) you are looking at. Now comes the test. Take a steady but relaxed position in front of your scene, and "concentrate" on the fact that what you are viewing is a detailed, two dimensional scene which is printed on the outside surface of the glass, and you are going to trace in detail with your pen all the lines which make up your study. In other words, you are going to experience this scene both visually and physically with the motion of your arm and hand.

This is a tremendous exercise in seeing and recording a detailed picture which is outside your room, but your experience of coordinating the eye and the hand is the "natural way to draw".

Be patient and try several different views. If you do this exercise correctly, you will also develop an instinct for understanding perspective, and the changing size of objects as they move into the distance. Good luck, and don't give up. See you again soon.

If you would like to view some of my art, click here www.noozoon.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home