NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Freement by William James Johnson Chapter 10

Macdonald Burney had taken over the old Grotto theatre and renamed it, "The City of God". A friendly, middle aged-man greeted me as I entered the building and handed me a stencilled program of the evening's activities. The young usher wanted to lead me to the front of the hall but I insisted on remaining at the back of the congregation where I could watch the proceedings unobserved by the others. About a hundred in the congregation half filled the so called church crowding the front
rows.
The lights dimmed, and the plush red velvet curtains opened slowly, revealing a small stage with a shining mahogany lectern on which was a large gilt edged bible. A small boy in a dark suit had struggled to lift it to the lectern, evoking smiles from the pleasant congregation. The back of the stage was draped in luxuriant, royal blue velvet.
A brief pause followed by a spotlight focussed on the left side of the stage, brought a hushed silence. The background curtain moved gently as someone passed behind it. Suddenly he was there. The Reverend Macdonald Burney walking as briskly as he did at work made it to the lectern in a few long strides. He was almost comical in a tragic way his arched eyebrows and receding chin set against the rich blue backdrop.Wearing a black cape, edged in silver,he looked like a university president, about to address a graduating class. The congregation was stone silent, no coughing and fidgeting that usually precedes a sermon.
"God love you my children in Christ. Bow down our heads and thank the Almighty for giving us one more glorious day to show our love for him."
Instinctively I found myself joining the others. Aggie was right. She said I probably would not be content to just sit and watch. Mac's power was awesome as he gripped the large bible praying aloud.
"This evening my children. I bring you a most important message. While in deep prayer last night, God spoke to me. He told me I must use all my abilities to bring to you the true story of the horrendous suffering which awaits the unforgiven
sinner. We have studied his words in the Divine Book. But my Lord Jesus told me that words were not enough. He wanted me to see for myself the torments which await the unforgiven sinner, and he asked me to come before you. and share the vision of my journey into Hell.
"There is no forgiveness unless we humble ourselves before God almighty, and beg his salvation. As much as I would like to do it for each and everyone of you, I am merely God's instrument, and you must make the confession of your sins and ask for his mercy."
His resonant, Scottish accent had an hypnotic effect on everyone. They began to chant aloud their private sins, confessing them in this communal sacrament of Penance. I could feel my cheeks becoming flushed as I heard parts of personal
weaknesses being proclaimed in the darkened theatre. Mac continued weaving his fearful spell.
"But woe to the one who does not repent. He shall be cast into exterior darkness, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Where the evil Prince of Darkness will plague the sinful creature for all eternity. Listen to me, my children, and I will share with you the ugly torments which await the unforgiven. God commanded me to tell you in the most vivid manner possible what punishment is in store for sinners."
The anticipation of the audience made it obvious to me that Mac had given this sermon before, and it must be one of his most provocative.
"God has shown me the scorching fires of hell which cause the sinful soul tremendous torment, because there is no end. Imagine my children, holding your hand in a flame from a blazing blow torch, and you cannot withdraw your hand from this intense inferno. Still the hand is not consumed. Every part of your body
which has sinned against God's law will have to endure this unending burning for all eternity. The flesh blisters in the intense heat, and the unrelenting fire continues to blister the blisters... Still no end... Never an end to this hellish existence.
"You who have sinned with your eyes, will be blinded by the enormous light given off by the burning of your own devilish orbs. Their moisture will dry up and you will feel their surface cracking, and the pain and suffering will be unbearable. Still it will never end. Every moment in hell is a new, and more devastating corruption.
"And you who have offended the Almighty with your tongues. It would be better if you could bite them out and spit them on the ground, than to go to Hell and suffer the ravages of fire in your mouths. The pain will be unending, infinite, punishment for sin.
"There is also the passive sinner, who listens to the despoiling gossip of his neighbour, who lacks the courage to turn a deaf ear and walk away from this sin. Your ears will be burnt by the flames of Hell, and the hot running wax from inside your sinful head shall sear your faces. I know. God has let me see all this torment so that I can help you serve him instead of Satan.
"Oh how I cry for the sinful creature who is a victim of his own lust. Sexual sins must be the most heinous of all the offences, for these hateful creatures endure the most ignominious torment of all. God told me it had to be this way because these
weak, sinful creatures have polluted the tabernacle of the Holy Ghost when they have given in to the perversions of this world. These terrible creatures will endure for all eternity the bursting of their private parts in the tremendous heat of
unfulfilled desire, only to have them made whole again so that the suffering can be repeated forever.
"I hate to have to bring this terrible message to you. I weep for those poor wretches who cried out for mercy from the bowels of Hell, but there was no one to hear them. God must love you with all his might, if he would let me look into this
infinite realm of excruciating torture, to bring his message of forgiveness. That is the only way we can be saved. We must be saved in the Blood of the Lamb. Let our crucified Saviour take the burden of your sins and present them before the throne of his father in Heaven"
Mac's voice became higher and more forceful as he drew to his climax. His congregation joined in his prayer and many shouted, "Jesus forgive me. Jesus save me. I am a sinner my Lord. I beg you to save me from the fires of Hell, and take me into your glorious Kingdom."
I had to give him credit. If he didn1t believe in what he was saying, he was some terrific actor. And if he did believe, he couldn't have been more forceful than he was this night. It was difficult not to be moved by what was going on.
The curtain opened behind him revealing a golden backdrop with rhinestones sparkling in the words, "City of God". Mac moved backwards to a throne on a dais and sat down. Folding his hands, he bowed his head and prayed quietly. Again, the congregation became silent. I studied those who had come under the power of this man. A variety of ages was represented, from young children, to the elderly. Heads bowed. They were under his spell. A consuming feeling of tenseness in the narrow room, drew the spectators towards the nucleus on stage.
Suddenly without warning. Mac sprang up from his chair and shouted over the crowd.
"I hear you Jesus. Yes Jesus. I hear your voice. Yes. I will bring these sinners before you. Forgive them my God. Forgive them. They know not what they do. Forgive me too sweet Jesus. I am a weak. and sinful man."
He fell on his knees facing the crowd. and wept. An attendant rushed on stage and moved the lectern out of the way. As Burney humbled himself before his congregation someone shouted.
"Amen Jesus. Amen. Forgive us all Lord."
An elderly woman ran forward and clambered onto the stage and threw herself down with Mac and cried out. "Oh God. Oh my Jesus. Reverend Macdonald Burney. All you my brethren. Forgive me. I am a terrible sinner. I have lied. I've
cheated my fellow man out of money. I have committed adultery. I should be destroyed. But my God I throw myself at your feet and beg your mercy. Forgive me Lord for my terrible sins."
Never had I seen such a demonstration of faith in the Catholic church. The emotions of the congregation were like a tightened spring about to release its pent up energy. Others began to sing. "Bringing in the Sheaves". As their voices got
louder and became more emotional, several flocked to the front and started shouting out their sins. All Hell was breaking loose. Sexual sins seemed to predominate, as they humbled themselves in front of each other, demonstrating their faith in their leader, and in Jesus, their personal saviour.
About fifteen of the faithful crowded the small stage, their writhing bodies tortured by feelings of guilt, lying on the floor with their heads upturned, their faces contorted with fear of Hell, screaming for God's forgiveness. The screams of one young girl made me think she was actually experiencing the fires of damnation.
Even I had come under Mac's hypnotic spell. Standing up, I began moving towards the aisle. My movement overcame the compelling feelings I was experiencing and I suddenly remembered Aggie's warning. I slumped back into a seat on the edge of the row and struggled desperately to neutralize Mac's persuasiveness.
Mac was the first to arise, spreading his arms over those who remained kneeling or lying on the floor.
"Arise children of Christ and come with me into the Kingdom of God. You now have sweet Jesus in your hearts and he has forgiven you all your terrible sins. With him in your heart you can sin no more. No longer must you fear the fires of Hell because our Blessed Lord has paid for the punishment due our sins when he gave his precious life on the Cross. Rise my children and embrace each other in the love of forgiveness. God loves you. His only Son Jesus loves you. And I love you."
As they stood up, the whole congregation began singing, "Oh what a friend is Jesus." The entire performance captivated me.
There was no doubt the Reverend Macdonald Burney had tremendous
power in his charismatic personality. But was this religion or something else. Mac Burney did strange things to people. He continued to pray aloud.
"Lord Jesus, forgive all of these poor sinners and help them to repent, for there is more joy in Heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine just."
The lights in the theatre were gradually brightened. It made the spectators feel they had just come out of a dark canyon, into a valley of light. Mac embraced each of the new witnesses for Christ and placed them on his right hand. Significantly, the rest of us were now on his left, as he faced the wings and signalled for darkness to fall on the unbelievers. The entire hall was in total darkness, relieved only by dashing, fiery red spots, dancing along the walls, bouncing off the heads of those who were not ready to confess. A pale light shone from above onto the shoulders and silver trimming of Burney's gown. He seemed to be transfigured in the midst of his faithful, as he moved slowly offstage, followed by his sheep. Then total darkness in the hushed "City of God".
After several minutes all the lights were turned on, making my eyes throb momentarily. The velvet curtain had been closed. I studied the remainder of the congregation. I wondered where the young woman I had seen before the service was sitting. She had been directly in front of me, about four rows ahead. Then I
remembered I had gotten up during Mac's persuasive invitation.
She was in the same seat, now at an angle to me. With the lights turned on, I was able to get a better look at her. She had a small nose and a generous mouth. Her high cheek bones gave her eyes a slightly oriental look. She wore her honey blonde hair in loose waves which barely touched her smooth shoulders. She wore a deep mauve sweater, capped with a crisp white collar. She turned and looked directly at me. A current surged through my body as our eyes made contact. Her wonderful lips
parted slightly in a friendly smile. Then the lights were dimmed and she faced the front again.
Mac began preaching, surrounded on stage by his new adherents. I couldn't concentrate on him anymore. All I could think of was that young girl, beautiful and smiling, waiting in the dark, maybe wanting to meet me as much as I wanted to meet
her.
His service lasted for over three hours. The time went quickly as my mind continued to lock on to this beautiful creature. As they filed out of the theatre, Mac shook hands with everyone and invited them to return. I lingered behind, hoping to see the young girl, but Mac stepped in.
"Well Johnny, now don't you believe in the saving power of Christ? Did you feel that strength of his forgiveness as it flowed over these wonderful folks tonight?"
"It was tremendous Mac. Really tremendous."
"I like that expression. God is full of that power which commands the respect of mortal man. He is tremendous indeed."
"And somehow Mac you seem to have tapped that power."
"It's true my boy. God has been good to me. He has given me the grace to speak with conviction. Now Johnny, when will you accept his son Jesus as your personal saviour?"
"I need time. Please don't rush me on this."
"You will come back then?"
"Of course. I'm willing to keep an open mind."
"May God be praised. This is the answer to my most fervent prayer. I'll be patient my boy, and I'll pray for you. Oh what a wonderful reward is waiting for you Johnny."
"Well thanks again Mac. It was really something...it really was."
He continued speaking with some of his aides as I left the "City of God" and headed for the bus stop. My heart jumped as I saw the young girl from the church, waiting for a bus. She spoke as she saw me approaching.
"Hi. Is this the first time you've heard the Reverend Burney speak?"
"Yes...it was my first time."
"He's such a wonderful man. I think he's a saint."
"I don't know about that. But I know he sure is a spell binding preacher."
"It's a gift. When you listen to him you know God has chosen him. And he's so humble. Did you see how he dropped onto his knees in front of everyone and begged God's forgiveness? He does that all the time. He's such a good man."
"I'm John Martindale. I work with Mac."
"That's nice. I bet he'd be terrific to work for. I'm Lizbet Teil. I've only been going to the City of God for a couple of months. One of these days I hope I'll have the grace to go forward and confess my sins."
I wondered what kind of sins such a sweet, gentle girl like this could possibly have committed. Then I remembered all the things Aggie and I had done together. Suddenly I felt a bitter twinge in my heart. Aggie had convinced met that what we were doing was perfectly natural, but now that I had seen the remorse expressed during the public confession, I felt empty inside.
"Can I call you Liz?"
"Of course. Everyone calls me Liz."
"When will you be coming back to Mac's church again?"
"Probably this weekend. I come a couple of times a week."
"Saturday or Sunday?"
"Saturday I guess. Why?"
"I'd like to meet you. We could go to church together. That's of course if you don't mind?"
"Here's my bus. See you Saturday. Bye Johnny."
I decided to walk home. I had a lot to think about. How could all those people demean themselves so much by making such a public confession. I wondered if Mac's faithful actually told all their intimate secrets or did they only make it look like they were participating. Did they actually hold back. And what could a young girl like Lizbet have to confess. I was surprised she had not gone forward as yet to make her commitment. And should I let Aggie know what had happened? No. Aggie would only ridicule it. And I really wasn't going to get involved with Mac and the City of God.
I would go back so that I could get to know Liz better.

View William James Johnson's original Art by clicking here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home