NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Monday, July 05, 2004

Micromouse M5

I'm a self-employed artist who has been successful enough that I can say after 35 years I'm still doing my thing. So let's take a few seconds to reflect on why this morning I am feeling so self-satisfied. I have just returned from my daily walk in a beautiful park with four of my associates, three of whom can't stand what they are having to do on their jobs, just to maintain the same position they've had for over twenty years of loyal experience. All wish they could be as free as I appear to be, because I don't have someone who is one position above me, harassing me so that he can collect brownie points from his immediate superior.

The secret is not in being responsible for just yourself, but as I mentioned, I appear to be free. But the reality is that unless you are disciplined enough to maintain a regular work schedule, don't work for yourself. Instead find a job where you can bitch as much as you want, but never have to make a decision that really counts. Or go in and ask for a leave of absence so you can get your poop together. It is not easy. Often times it is very lonely. But honestly, it has been worth it. And I wish those guys who never seem happy, had sufficient bodily attributes to risk all on this voyage of discovery, but that regular cheque is hard to replace.

View William James Johnson biography and art at www.noozoon.com
Micromouse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home