NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Monday, September 27, 2004

Payroll by William James Johnson Chapter 36

Rona's face showed the tremendous strain they had both been under since getting involved in the search for Pedro. She was upset when Captain Juarez called to tell her he was bringing the child to live with them as Silky had suggested.
"I'm worried Silky."
"About what?"
"Things are different now."
"What do you mean different? I thought you wanted the boy as much as I do."
"That was before we found out about Hansen and the chicken business."
"Seems to me that's even more reason for wanting to help the little guy."
"But he's bound to see us differently now."
"Why would you say that?"
"We helped capture his father."
"He's a smart kid. He'll understand we had no choice. After all, it's not as if we're throwing him back on the streets. He'll have a good home with people who love him. What more could we do?"
"But the kid never knew his father until just a few days ago, and now his dad's probably going to spend years in prison. We're responsible for that."
"No way. If Hansen goes to prison, it's because he deserves it. No one can blame us for that."
"Don't you see Silky, it would be better if Pedro never met his father. Now that they have found each other, the kid's bound to blame us for losing him. I think if we let him stay, we're setting ourselves up for more grief."
"I love that little boy, and if there's anything I can do to help him have a decent life, I'm gonna do it."
"Both Pedro and Miguel are street kids. Don't let their small size fool you. They've learned to fend for themselves."
"That's probably why I love them so much. They remind me of myself, growing up."
"You're vulnerable Silky. These kids have worked their way into your heart, and they can wrap you around their little fingers. It's a fact. I watched it when Pedro was with us at Fernando's and I've seen Miguel do it. I'm afraid you're going to get hurt that's all. I just have a feeling."
"Well stop worrying. All these kids need is love and there's plenty to go around...When did Juarez say they'd be here?"
"Soon...They were going to leave right away."
"Did he say anything about the Mounties?"
"Only that he wants to talk to you about it."
"And those guys that killed Carlos...what about them?"
"He didn't mention it."
The black and white cruiser made its way slowly up the dusty mountain road. Juarez was taking his time, hoping the small boy would loosen up and talk about his problem. The Captain was a very compassionate man whose sensitivities were buried in a harsh exterior. Moderately overweight, and rumpled looking, Juarez could get people to talk because he seemed so ordinary.
Pedro hunched over in the cruiser, leaning against the door, his head buried in his arms. He hadn't spoken a word since Juarez picked him up.
"What's the problem amigo. You don't look very happy."
"Nothin'."
"Nothin'. I'd hate to see you when there's somethin' wrong."
"I don't want to talk about it."
"Okay my little friend. But that's not going to make it go away."
The child hesitated, studying the Captain's friendly face. "I don't like Senor Silky anymore."
"Oh! And why's that?"
"You know why."
"No I don't. Tell me about it."
"He helped you catch my father."
"But your father was going to kill Senor Silky and his family."
"I wish they never came to Tijuana."
"Look amigo. Your father has done some very bad things. He kidnapped little children like you, and sold them to rich gringos. Horrible things were done to these little kids. Some of them were even killed."
"Nothing bad happened to me."
"But you were lucky. You were bought by Sanchez. He wanted a son. He wasn't looking for a helpless victim like some of those men up north."
"What's going to happen to poppa now?"
"He'll have a trial, and people will listen to his story and decide if he's to go free, or go to jail. That's how it's done."
"Do you think they will let poppa go?"
"I don't think so Pedro. People who do bad things must be punished."
"Even Senor Silky?"
"Why do you say that?"
"He did bad things. He stole a lot of money in his country."
"Yes Pedro...Even Senor Silky must be punished. If we did not punish bad people, everyone would do what they wanted, and there would be no place for good people to live."
"I hope they punish Senor Silky for helping you catch my poppa."
"Listen amigo...Most of your life you managed without your poppa. Lots of little kids couldn't do what you've done. It has taken great courage. You're a very brave boy. Now you're going to have a chance to live in a beautiful home, with people who love you. Don't waste this chance Pedro. Silky and Rona risked their lives trying to get you back. They deserve a chance to make you happy."
"I can't be happy without my poppa. All my life I wanted to know who he was. When momma died, I was all alone. The other ladies looked after me, but no one ever told me about poppa. Then all of a sudden he comes to Senor Sanchez house and says he is my poppa. I couldn't believe it. But I knew he was telling the truth because he looked like me. Senor Sanchez liked him too. Then he told Senor Sanchez he wants to play a trick on some friends, and Sanchez said okay. I let them hide me in the basket. I had no idea it was Senor Silky who was going to be fooled. I was upstairs when I heard a bang like a gun. After we came down stairs, I saw poor Senor Sanchez bleeding on the floor beside this big box."
"Was he dead?"
"I don't know Senor. He wasn't moving."
"How did they find you?"
"It was Sandy who found me in the basket. Do you know Sandy Captain?"
"I just saw him for a few minutes. He was hurt by one of your father's men."
"Oh no! Not Sandy."
"They took him to the doctor. I don't know how he is."
"He was so much fun. He'd let me ride him. Nobody else could ride him...just me."
"Go on with your story. What did you do after you saw Sanchez had been shot?"
"Poppa said Senor Silky did it, and we better get away before the police came, or they might think it was our fault."
"Where did you go?"
"Poppa lives in town with a nice lady. He took me there, and asked her to take care of me while he finished his work."
"What kind of work?"
"I don't know. But I think he had men who worked for him. I think he wanted to see them. I was so happy to be with poppa. He said he would never leave me again. Then you caught him...you and that crook Senor Silky. It really hurts to talk about it Captain. I know I'm not going to see poppa again...I'm sorry Senor, but I think I'm going to cry."
Juarez pulled the cruiser to the side of the dirt road and put his arm around the youngster.
"Go on amigo...cry. Get it all out. Sometimes that's the only way to make things better."
Pedro nestled against the chief, sobbing uncontrollably.
"That's it my little friend. Take all the time you need."
"I don't really hate Senor Silky...he gave me a dollar once for nothin.' Poppa never gave me nothin'."
"I know you don't hate Silky. He told me how much he misses you. He was the one who said he wanted you to come and live with him."
Pedro sat up, wiping his tears on his sleeve. Juarez reached under his seat for a tissue.
"Here. Blow your nose."
He blew so hard, the tissue ripped, and Pedro began to laugh.
"Here's another one. There's lots...You feel better now?"
"Yes I do. Gracias amigo."
"Can we go then?"
"Yes. Let's go. You're right Captain. Silky is my friend. I'll try hard to make him like me."
"You won't have to do anything. He already loves you."
The rest of the trip went quickly. Pedro was surprised when the cruiser stopped outside the high wall at Silky's estate. "This is Senor Silky's hacienda?"
"This is it."
"I was here with another man. Do you know him Senor?...Edmundo Cabral?"
"The smuggler?"
"The man who gave me to Senor Sanchez."
"I know him Pedro. I sure would like to know where he is now."
"I heard him tell Sanchez he was going to Brazil. He said it was getting too hot for him here...He was a nice man."
Juarez rang the bell and waited.
"I'm sure he was." He decided not to elaborate on the details of the chicken business. This child had enough trauma in his life.
"Oh it's you Captain," said Silky, checking through the small opening. "Are you alone?"
"Just me and Pedro."
Sliding the bolt, he slowly opened the heavy gate. Pedro ran to him and hugged him.
"Senor Silky...I'm back."
"And I'm glad you're back. Come in. The others are waiting."
Miguel and the other children grabbed his hands and hurried him to the pool area.
"That's what he needs," said Juarez, "A chance to be a child."
"So what happened with the Mounties?"
"There were two of them...a man and a woman. She seemed smarter than him. They want to meet you, but I said I wouldn't arrange it until they told their boss about your willingness to return the money if they dropped all the charges."
` "So...What did they say about that?"
"The Sergeant seemed afraid to suggest it to his chief, but the woman was willing to listen, and they notified them back in Canada."
"So when will we know?"
"Their Boss, Inspector Kelly has agreed to consider your offer if you come back with them and turn yourself in."
"Turn myself in! Are they crazy? I agreed to return the money, because I don't want to go back...What do you think Captain?"
"I think you'd be stupid to go back. They just want to have you and the money...if it were me Senor Silky, I'd be disappearing again...and soon. You've got so much money, you can go anywhere you want...anywhere."
"But we don't have passports. We're actually illegal immigrants in your country."
"For the right amount of money, I can get you passports that'll let you go anywhere in the world. Getting passports is no problem."
"But if we're caught..."
"You won't be caught. You want to leave my country, I think you should get to Mexico City and then you can pick from hundreds of places. All the major airlines fly out of the Capital."
"Why Captain?...Why are you helping us?"
"It's personal Senor."
"It might help if I knew your reason."
"My sister's little boy was taken out of his front yard and sold to perverts in San Francisco. He was only eight years old. We worried for months. Then the Yankee police told us his tiny body had been found in a heavily wooded area by some hikers. This is why I want to help you Senor. Now that the chicken trader has been caught, our children will be safe again...for awhile at least."
"What a helluva Story. I'm so sorry Simon."
"Now you know...I want to help you because without your desire to find little Pedro, this horrible crime would continue."
"Gawd...I almost forgot about Pedro. If we take off again, what's going to happen to him...and Miguel?"
"I've thought about this too Senor. These are Mexican children, who should stay here in their country if it is possible. Eduardo has made a lot of money for you. You can afford to provide a good life for them. I'd suggest you put money in a trust fund for the two boys. Your servants, Francisco and Carmelita would have the use of the fund if they would be willing to adopt the two children."
"That's terrific. I'm sure they'd want to do that. They're marvellous people. And I'd be satisfied that the two boys would have the family experience they both need."
"I'm glad you like the idea Senor...Now we must arrange to get passports for you and Senorita Rona."
"Wait...I'm not thinking straight. What about the house?"
"What about it Senor?"
"I can't just leave it to our servants. It's worth a helluva lot of money. Maybe we should sell it, and get something smaller."
"That could be done. Eduardo can look after it for you. But you don't have much time if you expect to make a clean getaway. That's what you should be thinking of first."
"Damn...I almost forgot about Sandy."
"Senor Silky, you have to change some things if you expect to save yourself. The most important thing right now, is getting you and your lady as far away from here as possible. I'm talking two maybe three days maximum. I can't keep these Mounties running in circles forever."
"Okay Simon...you're right. Rona was thinking the same way when we came back from town. That woman has great instincts."
"You're lucky Senor. Having a good woman is very important. So how about we leave it this way. I'll get the passports arranged and you look after the financial end with Eduardo. And while you're in town, you can check on the dog. I think Sandy would like to live in this house with the kids."
Silky shook hands with Juarez, them impulsively hugged him. "Thank you Simon...You're a true friend."

Read other Johnson Blogs at http://noozoon.blogspot.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home