NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Payroll by William James Johnson Chapter 32

Captain Juarez was on his third tequila when Silky finished his story about how he and Rona ended up in Mexico. He kept a good supply of the potent brew for his friend Fernando who drank the stuff like water, never showing any effects. Obviously Juarez had the same talent.
"And after everything you've told me, you still expect me to believe the payroll robbery was a mistake?"
"I know it sounds crazy Captain, but it's true. In the beginning I'll admit I planned to take the money and disappear, but then things changed."
"Of course they changed. You couldn't find the money."
"That's not what I mean."
"Then tell me Senor what 'do' you mean?"
"When I was told the Army had selected me for Officer Candidate School, it affected my whole attitude. At last I'd have the chance to be somebody. Unfortunately they didn't tell me about it until after the robbery."
"But the officer's course was a sham. You had them believing you were preparing for it, by completing university courses. You got the chaplain's recommendation to live off the base because you said you needed a quiet place to work on your studies. What you really wanted, was to be away from the others because you were training your accomplice for the robbery, and didn't want anyone to know about your dog. Is that not so?"
Silky was impressed with his ability to see through his explanation. Juarez was a very competent opponent.
"It was that way in the beginning. I've already told you that. Besides, I never thought I stood a chance. What the hell, I had a Captain who thought drinking with the boys was more important than developing your brain. I think he was jealous of me working on university subjects..."
"But..." interrupted Juarez, "You weren't working on courses. He just thought you were...Why do you say he was jealous?"
"Because he got his commission the hard way."
"Which means...?"
"He got a field commission in Korea...for courage and other good stuff. He was the kind of leader who wanted all his guys to be buddy-buddy, and I wasn't that kinda guy. That's why I was so surprised when Major Perkins told me I was accepted for OCS."
"Your Captain sounds reasonable to me. I think I would feel the same way if one of my men decided not to be a team player. You aren't a team player are you Senor?"
"What's that got to do with the robbery?"
"Everything...if you could trust others, you might have succeeded as a robber. But instead, you trusted the dog, and we know what happened then."
"It wasn't Sandy's fault. After all the training time we spent together, I neglected to follow through on my plan. Maybe as you say using Sandy was a mistake, although he wasn't the one who failed. I was the screw-up. Forget him for now and listen to what I'm saying. I'm very serious. For the Army to offer me the chance to get my commission was very important for me."
Rona could see through Silky's act. He could do this "very sincere" routine better than most. Underlying it was his desire to gain Juarez' confidence.
"And for this chance to be an officer, you want me to believe you were willing to change all your plans?"
"Every bit."
"Really Senor...You mean you would just forget all those things you did...the trip to Florida to get the dog, training him to take the poisoned meatball, the old van, living alone in the farm house...everything you told me?"
"That's right Captain...all of it. In fact I gave the Mounties who were doing the investigation, my report on why I stole the payroll."
"Which you admit writing after the fact, because you were trying to...pardon the expression Senora Rona...cover your ass."
"But I've already told you, I couldn't give back the money. I didn't know where the dog buried it."
"That would be funny Senor, if it were not so sad."
"You wouldn't think so if it had been you."
"I would not have used the animal in the first place."
"But Sandy's been so good. Take today for instance. He put his life on the line for me."
"Training amigo...just training. You want this beast to be more than a dog, so you think of him as a friend."
"He is my friend."
"Where was it you said he hid the money?"
"In the floor of his doghouse. He wasn't hiding it really. Sandy just liked to bury things, that's all."
"Then please tell me, if like you say your whole attitude changed, why you made a run for it once you got the money, instead of turning it over like you wanted?"
"We had no choice...the Mounties wouldn't believe my story...thank God Rona found my gun. She and Sandy helped me capture the Mounties and tie them up. If it wasn't for her, we'd be doing hard time at Stoney Mountain, instead of talking to you."
"And this lady was your partner by this time."
"Let me tell him Silky," said Rona, patiently waiting her turn."
"Please go ahead Senorita...It is Senorita is it not?"
"It is...Me and Silky are not married. That is...what the hell, I'm married but not to Silky."
"Not yet Captain, but we're going to get married as soon as Rona gets her divorce."
"How did you become partners?"
"I met Silky at a party in the Corporal's Club. A lot of us girls from the town used to be invited whenever there was a special bash. This time it was the St.Patrick's dance. At first I though he was kinda weird. Then I realized it was because he wasn't like the other guys. He was sweet, and caring. I really liked him. We started seeing more of each other after that night. In fact, I kinda looked on Silky as being my man."
"What about your husband?"
"Oh that was over for quite awhile...I was finished with it, but Russ kept thinking we'd get back together. When I got to know Silky better, I knew I'd never go back to Russ."
"So you two started living together...just like that."
"No. We didn't. That came after the trouble I had with my boss."
"What kind of trouble?" asked Juarez, pouring himself more Tequila.
"The creep would never keep his hands off me. I was a waitress in his truck stop. Then one day, when we were alone, he tried to force me to do it. I yelled at him to back off, but that just made him more aggressive. Next thing I know, I'm fightin' for my life. I don't want you to think I'm a prude or nothin' but I wasn't gonna give in to this bastard. He kept tryin' to hold me down, but I managed to get a leg free, and I gave him a swift kick in the you know what, and he doubled over. I got to hell outa there as fast as I could. Apparently I must have made a direct hit. They say he almost bled to death before they got him to the hospital. I panicked. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to find Silky, but I didn't even know where his farmhouse was. A farmer who used to come into our joint, remembered seeing an abandoned farm that used to have a light in the windows at night. When I got there it was dark, and Silky let me in. The rest is history."
"That is one helluva story. Why didn't you go to the police and charge your boss with rape."
"I was just a waitress. He'd done things like this with the other girls. No one ever complained. They needed the job. I was tryin' to make it without Russ. This guy was the worst kind. He knew he could get away with murder with 'his' girls. Then when I hurt him, I was really afraid to tell the cops. They put out a warrant for my arrest for criminal assault."
"You two have had a hard time with the system."
"You can say that again," said Silky.
"And now we come to the part about the old pilot...what's his name?"
"That sonofabitch...Ivan Thistlegrow. Tried to rip us off. Jumped out of the plane without a qualm about how the hell we would make out...Took a bag of my clothes, thinking it was the payroll. Rona managed to make the switch when she went to the washroom in back...I think that bastard should be charged with attempted murder, that's what I think."
"So do I. One thing I can't stand is when one crook is not honourable with another crook, know what I mean?" said the Captain, smiling sardonically.
"Look Captain, I've told you the whole story. Even the part about what we want to do with our money...the kids and all. You've got to give us a break. We're not bandits. We're just ordinary people who want a chance at a decent life."
"First of all Senor...you are seriously mistaken...it is not your money. The money was stolen. So please let's not pretend that all of a sudden you have done nothing wrong. It will be up to the Canadian courts to decide that."
"But we'll give back the money...more if we have to. We really want to spend the rest of our lives in your lovely country, and start a family...We've already got Miguel, and now that you have arrested Hansen, we'll take care of Pedro. After all, it was our concern about that little kid that brought all this chicken business to a head. You didn't see us back off just because it was dangerous."
"No one is doubting your courage Senor. Taking on Tomaso without a gun, just you and your dog, was extremely brave, if not very sensible. But you keep forgetting to mention, crimes have been committed...several crimes."
"But that was then...this is now. Can't you help us somehow?"
"Eduardo was right...He told me you were a very clever man Senor Silky. You know I came here to arrest you, but instead you ask me to help you."
"Please Captain Juarez...We need your help," asked Rona.
"You two have me...as 'Dirty Harry' would say, between a rock and a hard place. Singlehandedly you have brought to an end that rotten business of selling our kids...at least for the time being... risking your own lives. And you tell me you want to use your wealth to provide a decent family for other street children...You make it so tough for me to decide what to do."
"You will help us then?" asked Silky.
"Tell me the truth Senor. No long stories this time. Are you serious about giving back the money you stole?"
"Of course...all of it. With Eduardo's excellent advice we have more than enough."
"And your desertion from the Canadian Army?"
"My three year contract was just about finished. I think that's one of the reasons they decided to let me go to OCS. They do that to some guys to get them to sign on again. I'm sure if you tell them how much we helped get rid of the chicken trade, they'll be more lenient."
"I don't know what to say. Your story is fascinating, but then, most criminals are fascinating. That's why I chose this career. Still you have committed many offences, not just the payroll robbery."
"What the hell do you mean?"
"The plane you stole from Thistlegrow..."
"He left it with us when he jumped out. We didn't steal the goddamn thing. We were just lucky we got it down without getting killed."
"And the mafia limo you stole in Vegas."
"For Chrissake Captain...weren't you listening to my story. Those bastards broke into our room to steal our money. We used their car to get away. It was either us or them."
"Okay...okay. We're not getting anywhere. You've got an excuse for everything. I just want you to see that letting you off is not going to be as simple as that. We haven't even dealt with the Sanchez thing yet, or Carlos Velasquez."
"I don't even know where Carlos is. And believe me, I had no idea he was working for Hansen. We had to use him to find Pedro. He was our only lead. How did we know they planned to get rid of Sanchez, and set us up to do the dirty work. This is a helluva mess Captain, and without your help, we're screwed. You've gotta help us."
"Despite all my doubts, I believe you when you say you want to give back the money...I really do. But I don't mind telling you it's very confusing. Maybe I've had too much tequila. But at this moment, I think maybe I would like to do something to help you."
That was all they had to hear. Rona and Silky embraced the inebriated policeman.
"Fantastic. That's all we're asking. Just think about it."
"The Mounties will be here day after tomorrow. Let's see if we can make them a deal they can't refuse." Now he was sounding like the "Godfather>". Juarez loved American crime movies.
This sudden change was a great relief for Silky. He could feel his confidence coming back. Pouring the Captain some more tequila, he decided to ask a favour.
"Now if you don't mind, I'd like to get into town and see how Sandy's making out.
"You promise you won't run out on me?" asked Juarez, smiling.
"Cross my heart and hope to die," answered Silky.
"Was that a yes or what?"
"It was the strongest kinda yes he can give," said Rona.
Carmelita stayed with the children as the two drove the jeep, followed by Juarez in the cruiser. The police had taken the prisoners in Hansen's limo, into Tijuana General Hospital for treatment. Fernando had left the distributor cap on the ground under the front bumper.
There was only one place Fernando and Eduardo could take Sandy. Doctor Ricardo Gomez was the chief of veterinary surgery at the clinic adjacent to the famous bull ring. Many Americanos had their first experience at this blood sport in the dusty stadium outside of town.
"He is weak amigos...he lost a lot of blood. But he's going to make it. I can tell he is a fighter. He has been wounded before."
"Will he be able to walk?"
"Certainly, but I think you will have to keep him as a friend. His days as a guard dog are over. Sandy will not have the quickness he used to have. I will remove the cast in about six weeks."
"Does this mean we can take him with us?"
"I would rather you let me keep him under observation for a couple of days. I want to be sure he has no infection from the bullet. Is there anything else I can do for you?"
"Can we see him Doctor?"
"Yes, of course...but he will not see you. He hasn't come out of the anaesthesia yet."
Doctor Gomez led them into the back room where he conducted the surgery. They were amazed at how spotless his hospital was. "It's just like a real hospital," said Rona.
"It is a real hospital amigos. These are living creatures like you and me. They deserve the best treatment we can give them when they are hurt."
Sandy was lying in a wire cage, his right rear leg outstretched in a cast, with a small caster on the foot.
""Why the wheel?"
"When he is feeling better, he's going to want to get around. The wheel will reduce the mechanical damage he might do to the limb while it's healing."
"He's a fine looking animal isn't he Doctor?"
"He really is Senor...a fine animal."
Waiting outside in Eduardo's car were their two friends, anxious to hear about Sandy's condition.
"Thanks so much fellows for looking after Sandy."
"We went as fast as we could," said Fernando. "He lost a lot of blood. What did Doctor Gomez tell you?"
"It's going to take awhile, but he should be okay again...Thanks to you two."
"And Juarez? What about him?" asked Eduardo.
"Thinks we might be able to work a deal with the Mounties when they get here."
"So there's a chance you will be staying?"
"He thinks there is...We'll probably have to give back the payroll money."
"How much was that?"
"Six hundred grand."
"We can cover that. Let me know when you want to cash some securities."
"Gawd, I don't know how come we're so lucky to have such great friends."
"It takes two to be friends," said Fernando.
"Thanks again for looking after Sandy. We better get back home. It's going to need some fixing."

Please write me a comment on your feelings about my novel. Thanks Bill Johnson


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home