NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Monday, September 27, 2004

Payroll by William James Johnson Chapter 33

Before returning home, Silky used a pay phone outside the clinic and called the telephone company and asked them to send a repairman as soon as possible.
"They said they'll send someone right away."
"Gawd I hope so," said Rona. "Without a phone, out there on that hill. I feel completely isolated."
"Juarez told me you called him. I'm sure glad you did."
"When I saw Hansen with those men, I knew something was wrong."
"Our luck is still holding out. If the police hadn't shown up, we could've all been killed."
"And Hansen would have our money..."
Her mention of the money started Silky thinking again about what Juarez proposed as a solution.
"What do you really think?"
"About what?"
"Giving back the money if the Mounties will deal."
"You really want to know?"
"Of course...what do you think?"
"I've got that same feeling I had when I switched the money on Thistlegrow."
"You mean you don't believe him?"
"It seems too easy the way he put it."
"Then your saying you wouldn't give back the money?"
"I think if you give it back, they're still going to put us in the slammer. These guys aren't gonna do us any favours. Why should they?"
"I think Juarez owes us, and he knows it,...for busting up the chicken trade...that oughta be worth something."
"Look, you asked me how I feel about it, and I told you. And excuses aren't going to get me to change my mind."
"What would you do then, if you were me?"
"Naw! If I tell you, you'll just get mad, and we sure don't need that...not with the other problems we've got."
Her answer disturbed him. He could tell when she had something on her mind and was holding back. Pulling the jeep to the side of the road, he stopped the engine, in the distance they could see the tile roof of their hacienda and the top of the high wall which surrounded their estate.
"Why did you stop?"
"Tell me what you'd do...I won't get mad. I need to know."
"I might as well. You'll bug me until I do."
"Am I really like that?"
"When you want something, you don't quit until you get it. In many ways that's one of the things I like so much about you."
"Okay...then why fight it? Tell me what you would do in this case."
"You're gonna think I'm pretty selfish in what I would do, but it is the safest way outa this mess."
"Go on. Being selfish is not always so bad."
"I'd have Eduardo sell all our securities and get a bank draft for the whole amount, and disappear again."
"And leave our lovely house...and Miguel. And what about Sandy?"
"See I knew you'd get pissed off. I shouldn't have told you."
"Jeezus Rona. Your idea would mean giving up all this good stuff that means so much to us."
"Because we're gonna have to give it up anyway if we stay. This way, we've got enough bucks to go anywhere... live anywhere. Get as far away from this place as we can."
"And Miguel?"
"There'll be other Miguels...there always are. We have to start thinking of ourselves first Silky. Who knows, maybe even Eduardo can't be trusted."
He had thought about this himself, but his faith in Fernando made him accept the honesty of his old school chum. What the hell...He made a tremendous amount of money for them in very little time. Her negative attitude made him extremely defensive.
"So we're back on your favourite subject again. Just because you have trouble trusting people, is no reason you should attack my trust."
"I never criticized your trust Silky...never once. You're trying to pick a fight, and I don't want to fight with you."
He was becoming infuriated with her characterization of him. He liked to think he was successful because he could "keep his cool".
"I think this is worth fighting over...Did you ever think that maybe it's you who can't be trusted?"
"I can't believe you said that. Not after all we've been through."
"Seems that way...Jeezus! Suddenly my life has meaning and you want to undermine it. I did okay before you came along, and goddamn it, I'll get along just fine after you're gone."
That did it. With a full swing she slapped him across the face, and opening the jeep door, jumped out.
"What the hell...Rona for Chrissake. Why'd you do that?"
"Figure it out for yourself. You want to be on your own...you've got it.'
She began walking back down the dirt road towards Tijuana. Silky started the jeep and turned it around.
"Don't do this Rona...I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."
"Of course you did. Just like Carlos asking us to trust him. Remember that Silky, and you finally gave in. And look what happened."
"Come on sweety...get back in the jeep. I'm really sorry."
"How could you say you can't trust me?...Christ Silky, I had so many chances to take off and leave you on your own, but I didn't."
She stopped walking away from him. He turned off the motor and got out. Taking her in his arms, he held her tightly, reassuring her. Brushing back here hair, he wiped away her tears.
"I'm such a stupid ass hole."
His description of himself made her chuckle. "Even ass holes are good for something."
As they spoke, the telephone repairman honked when he passed .
"Hey!...looks like we lucked in again."
"So what are we going to do Silky?"
"For one thing, we're going to stop this dumb arguing. You're probably right. We should forget about our idealism, at least for now, and start thinking of how we can save ourselves."
"And you're not mad at me for suggesting it?"
"If I remember correctly, you told me once that if we went on the bus together, it would be a first for both of us."
Rona began to laugh. "I do remember saying that, but what's that got to do with us now?"
"I think I'd better start doing more listening, and you do more talking."
"You're right...That would be a first for both of us."
The tension relieved, they kissed again, and got back into the jeep.
"I think I know why I acted so stupid," explained Silky.
"I know why you did."
"Okay. I'm listening."
"You want this whole thing to work out your way, so you're willing to give these people the benefit of the doubt. I'm different. I'd rather believe a person who shows me he can be trusted, than one who asks me to trust him. Does that make any sense?"
"Couldn't have put it any better myself."
Rona held his arm until they got home. The front gate was wide open. Stopping the jeep beside the repair truck, they hurried into the house.
"Thank God you're here," said the repairman.
Sitting on the tiled floor, a bloody towel in her hands, Carmelita buried her face.
"What the hell happened?"
"I found her in the foyer...bound and tied. Someone has sure done a good job on her face."
Rona dropped onto the floor beside Carmelita and took her tortured face into her hands.
"What happened Carmelita?"
"The man you call Carlos, came after you left with the police Captain. He said he wanted money because Hansen did not pay him for his work. I told him I had no money. Then he hit me and hit me."
'Where was Francisco?"
"He left after you to get a carpenter in town to come and fix the damage."
"Didn't he lock the gate?"
"Yes Senor...but Carlos rang the bell, and he said he had to see you. I wouldn't let him in...then he said it was about Pedro, and I was sure you would want to know about the child, so I unlocked it."
"Gawd...What kinda monster is he? Where are the children now?"
"That's it Senor Silky...He took them with him. Miguel, and my two kids. He said if he doesn't get the money from you, he will sell them to some Americanos, and they will do all kinds of terrible things to them. I am sorry Senor. I should never have unlocked the gate."
"It's not your fault Carmelita. You did what we would have done. I think we should get you to the doctor."
"No...no Senor. I'll be all right. It is just my face."
"You're sure?" asked Rona.
"Yes Senorita, I'm sure."
"What is Carlos going to do now?"
"He said he will call you later to tell you what you must do. I told him the telephone was not working, but that did not seem to matter."
Silky turned to the repairman. "How long is it going to take to fix it?"
"Twenty minutes Senor, that's all."
"Please hurry. I want to call Captain Juarez."
"Si Senor...right away."
Rona took Carmelita to her room to comfort her. Her children, Juan 11, and Terisita 9, were her main reason for living. She and Francisco were so happy they could stay when these new owners took over the estate. They were delighted Silky and Rona treated them like family. Now that Carlos kidnapped her children, the poor woman was devastated.
Silky's mood had changed from hopeful optimism, to black despair. He could handle setbacks in his own life, but when it included others, particularly children, he was crushed. He didn't know if he should call the police and show his hand, or wait until Carlos tried to get in touch with him. He felt if the crook was intent on getting the money, he would not harm the children until he had found out what Silky was going to do first.
With this change in circumstances, one thing was certain. He wasn't prepared to get their money from Eduardo and disappear as Rona had suggested. He would stay and fight it out. He felt responsible for jeopardizing the lives of Carmelita's children, and he couldn't pretend it hadn't happened.
When the repairman left, he locked the front gate and returned to the house. Walking along the corridor which led to the family room, he could hear Carmelita sobbing behind the closed door, and the comforting voice of Rona. He thought again about that ridiculous scene with Rona when they returned from town. He could hear himself saying he could do it alone. If only they knew. Inside his scheming head was a frightened little boy. He had always been afraid, since the time he got out of the old Buick when it sank in Uncle Henry's dugout, and he had to struggle alone to get out of the freezing water, and make it to the farm house on a bitter prairie night.
This flashback made him remember losing his parents. He had tried so hard to avoid these painful thoughts as he was growing up, but trying to forget just made them more poignant. He transferred his own loss to that of Carmelita. In many ways it would be easier to accept the death of small children than the thought of the cruel life ahead as a victim of the 'chicken trade'.
He went to the bar and poured himself a tequila, more out of habit cultivated since associating with his Mexican friends, than out of preference. He still considered himself a non-drinker. Taking a deep swallow of the foul tasting stuff, he wiped his mouth on the back of his hand and put the glass back on the bar.
"Jeezus...how can they drink this stuff?"
The bell at the front gate sounded. Hurrying to the front yard, he vowed if they kept this house, he would have a security camera mounted out front with a remote button for opening the gate.
"Who is it?"
"Francisco."
"Are you alone?"
"Si Senor."
Silky was super cautious this time. Carefully looking both ways through the small hole, he slipped the bolt and opened the gate.
"Come in Francisco...Hurry."
"Si Senor..What is wrong?"
"Let me get you a drink."
Francisco grabbed him by the arm. He had never been so bold before.
"Something is wrong?..Senor?" He began to shout. "Carmelita," his voice echoing in the large foyer."Is it my kids? Tell me Senor...Juan...Teresita. Something happened in the pool? Juan!...Teresita!" he shouted again. "What have you done with them?"
"They have been kidnapped by that crook Carlos. He took Miguel too."
"Oh no...no,no. Say it is not so...my little babies."
"It is true my friend. We'll do whatever it takes to get them back. When we were gone, he came looking for money and he beat Carmelita and tied her up."
"No...oh no Senor. Not my Carmelita."
She's in her room with Rona. I think we should let them be for now...please let me get you a drink."
Tears welled up in his dark Mexican eyes, and his face became contorted in pain as he tried not to cry. Silky put his arm around his servant.
"Let it out amigo. It is better this way."
Francisco dropped onto the low couch and covered his eyes with his arm and sobbed.
"My little babies with that monster. I will kill him. I promise you. I will kill that filthy beast."
"I was going to call Captain Juarez, but I thought if Carlos found out, he might harm the children. We're going to have to wait until he calls."
"But the phone is out of order."
"It's been fixed."
"Goddamn it...if Raoul had not pulled out those wires, I would have been here when he came."
"Don't blame yourself amigo. None of us expected this...It's up to you. If you want me to call the police, I will. I don't want to risk the lives of our children."
When he said, "our children", Francisco realized for the first time he had not been considering how Silky must be feeling now that Miguel was gone too.
"Forgive me for being so selfish Senor."
"You're not selfish."
"I never gave any thought about you and Senorita Rona losing your little boy...I'm sorry amigo. I'll have that drink now. Then maybe you will let me talk to Carmelita...alone."

View original art by author William James Johnson at www.noozoon.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home