NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Crisis at the Ranch

Lazy rivulets traced crazy patterns on the off-white tile surrounding the hot tub, where buried to the neck in foamy bubbles, George W was soaking the stinging scratches he had when he fell from his bike,(make that mountain bike) At least the press gave him front page coverage, knocking off the prison story. The time was running out for the handover of Iraq to their new leader, and he still had not decided on who would be picked.

A rush of cold air suddenly wafted over him as Laura entered the room.
"Close the door for gawd's sake. You want me to catch a death of cold."
"You better get out of there George. We have a crisis on our hands."
"Crisis!" he exclaimed, sitting bolt up right in all the foam.
"An international crisis."
"Yahoo! My prayers have been answered. Now maybe those newshounds and CNN will give me a break for a change. Don't keep me waiting."
"It's the Marines George."
"I can't believe it...the Marines. What have they done now?'
"Canada is involved George."
"Canada! I thought when they got rid of that french guy, things would be better. What has happened now?"
"It's their flag George."
"I don't get it. Some radical terrorists burn their flag because they refused to fight with us. I don't trust those smug northeners anymore. Remember how great it was when Mulroney and Ronnie sang "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling." Those were the good old days. Weren't they Laura...the good old days."
"No one burned their flag. The Marine colour party carried their flag upside down at the Korean memorial."
"Why would they do such a stupid thing?"
"It was a mistake George. No one told them. Maybe the Marines thought that maple leaves are upside down. They do fall at this time of year."
"Why didn't someone tell me? Geez am I always the last to know?"
"You told us not to bother you with things you might have to deny later. Its been your policy George."
"But if Canada really gets ticked off, it could screw up the free trade agreement. And maybe Mexico might even pull out. That's all I need."
"Get back into the tub George and relax. Maybe you'll think of something."
"How about we invite Paul Martin and some of his staff to come to the ranch for a weekend barbecue?"
"I don't like to butt in, but wouldn't that be better, if we wait a month or so and see if he gets back in as Prime Minister?"

View the original art and biography of William James Johnson at www.noozoon.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home