NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Aging

I'm still wearing that Egyptian ruler's outfit I wore a few years ago when trick or treating with the kids. It has a distinct power in the hat which helps me relate to my past. If I had any musical talent I think this would make a neat illustration on the cover of a CD for my group, "Faro and the Pyramids."
Aging, which is happening as we speak, is inevitable. There would be no present without a past. I have chosen ancient Egypt as a point in my past I would like to relive, so that I could work on the building of one of the world's greatest monuments. Seeing the Great Pyramid from an aircraft, dwarfing all other structures, is a fantasy. Wouldn't it be tremendous if our future would contain a chemical which would permit memory to become a neural time machine, and we could concentrate on an era we wish to visit in our imagination,and despite our present age, we could flash back like they do in films, and we would be in this virtual reality.
It seems I've drifted from my subject. I guess that's part of aging. Seniors often say aging is just a number. I used to think that way when I was fifty. Now at almost 77, I can hardly remember as far back as fifty. Don't tell anyone, but the other day I found myself sitting on the toilet waiting for something to happen, and I actually forgot why I was there.
Please indulge me for a moment longer, and I will review a little of my past. The first born of eight children during the depression, deprived me of the thrill of being a child. Even then I acted old for my age because someone had to take the responsibility for the younger kids. Let's say it was not always easy to be in charge, but there was no choice.
Despite lean beginnings, I had an exciting career as an electronic's officer in the RCAF, until I was injured and medically released after 16 years. Still a young man, I became a teacher. During this training I discovered a latent talent for art, and in my early forties resigned to pursue my new career as a professional artist. My art is included in many major galleries, and my reputation as a portrait painter has taken me throughout the world.
Not satisfied with having only one career, I returned to my first love as a novelist and have four of my science fiction novels available on the internet. This seems like a rich life, and indeed it has been. My wife and I have worked together for 54 years. I always say it is great if you get it right the first time.
Do you know what. This is about aging, and it still is just a number. Find something that makes you want to get up and get at it. Don't wait for it to come to you. Make it happen. You can you know. There are still paintings I want to do, and books I want to write. Did I mention that I was aging as we spoke. Funny, I don't have that feeling anymore.

View my web site at www.noozoon.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home