NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Trees Hold Up the Sky 26 William James Johnson

Wearing a protective suit, Gonzalo stood between Hank and Laura, enthralled by the scope of the cave paintings. The beauty and enormity of the endeavour was breath taking. He was stunned by the grotesque devastation he saw in the cruel depiction of mass annihilation from an enormous explosion.

"What is the meaning of it all? We must find the reason. Whoever did this exquisite mural is trying to tell us something...but what is it?"

"That vibrating capsule may be the key," said Laura.

"Have you considered that the source of the energy coming off the wall when you illuminate it with ultra violet rays, may be extra-terrestrial?" asked Gonzalo.

"Jess suggested that, but we haven't seriously considered it," said Hank.

"I sent you some of my research data on the local myths. This area is believed by the natives to be the source of miracle cures. In fact the Atabapo Cave is considered an ancient sacred shrine. I'm not saying this to prejudice your interpretations. I've found in my field work, there was usually a modicum of truth in the myths I studied. Things which have unexplainable occurrences are accepted by my countrymen as sacred."

"Have you received Dr. Khan's report on Eric and Peter's autopsy findings?" asked Hank.

"No I haven't. Your reports said they died of radiation exposure," replied Gonzalo.

"It was more than that. The reason he and Dr. Lamb came here, was to examine the source of the radiation."

"Radiation is radiation as I understand it," said the professor.

"This was different. Somehow this radiation caused a DNA shift in the bodies of these two men. Dr. Khan said he was convinced that this cloning result was capable of changing their cellular structure into a highly evolved species which for all intents and purposes would be immortal."

Gonzalo was speechless. He was certain if he told Obispo about the discovery of this mysterious energy source, he would seize the scientific site immediately, and announce to the world the fantastic results of his government's work. This would put the lives of the Americans in serious jeopardy.

"This is unbelievable. I discussed this very thing with the General several days ago, and he asked me if I thought the immortality myth had any basis in fact, and now you tell me your Washington visitors have found evidence there may be a mysterious power present in this sacred place."

"No one has said anything about this being a miraculous location," stressed Hank, who was always reticent about attributing special powers in his scientific pursuits. "I think it is premature to be making unsubstantiated judgments about our findings."

"But as a scientist, what do you think caused the DNA shift in the bodies of your deceased men?" asked Gonzalo.

"Maybe the deterioration of their bodies as a consequence of their death," suggested Laura.

"Or something in this jungle environment which is alien to our way of life," added Hank.

"Alien! You did say alien?" said the professor.

"Yes I did, but I'm not referring in any way to creatures from outer space, if that's what you are implying."

"But why not? Is it so impossible to accept that creatures from another galaxy may have arrived on planet earth, and brought us this special power which appears to reside in the cave?"

"Speculation dear Professor. We mustn't waste our time in fantasizing about alien visitors if we must speed up our work and return home before there is a surprise attack on us," said Hank.

"I think we should consider all possibilities when it comes to decoding the cave message," said Laura. "We all seem to attest to the fact that the energy present in the cavern is capable of destroying life as well as modify it. This is obvious or we would not all be wearing these protective suits. What I would like to know Professor is what you think about the image of the Ahuntipec mountain which is in the mural?"

"The legend is that there is such a geographic structure which has sacred properties."

"There you go again. Is every unknown phenomena which occurs in this part of the world sacred?" asked Hank sarcastically.

"I don't wish to annoy you Dr. Newton by using that expression. Sacred is a word our people use to describe what cannot be explained. In many ways it is like the Christian way of referring to the understanding of the nature of the Divine, as a Mystery. For example the Mystery of the Trinity, which we Catholics accept by faith, but are unable to explain intellectually."

"But what should we do about Ahuntipec, if that really is what is depicted in the mural?" asked Laura, trying to keep them on the subject.

"We've got the Severski. It could certainly carry all of us. Why don't we get Jess and Tomaso to fly us to your sacred mountain and see for ourselves," suggested Hank.

"That's a wonderful idea Henry," said Gonzalo, genuinely anxious to see for himself what few on earth had ever witnessed. The dense jungle made an approach by land totally impossible.

"I've seen enough of this magnificent mural. I can hardly wait until you decipher the message contained in it."

"If we can discover its meaning," said Laura. "It's so complex, I don't think we're going to be able to do it using our old methods."

"No one expects it to be done overnight," said Hank. "After all, it's been waiting for over half a million years for us to come along."

"It's obvious, the creatures who did this wondrous thing must have been far more evolved than we are," added Gonzalo.

"Why do you say that Professor?" asked Hank.

"I'm presuming they may have come from another planet."

"You surprise me Professor, a man of your eminence in the world of anthropology. Why in the world would you even suggest such a ridiculous idea?"

"Take it easy Henry," said Laura. "There are attributes which make Gonzalo's hypothesis at least worth considering."

"Not you too."

"The energy in the cave is unknown to us. You heard Ama say he is puzzled about what it is, or where it might have originated."

"Well if you must persist, I might as well try one of my off the wall theories," said Hank. "Maybe the radiation is coming from a radioactive mineral source, that was present in this jungle geography before the receding of the waters which in ancient times covered the earth. I can live with that more than some green skin aliens visiting from another galaxy."

"But your theory doesn't take into consideration that your own Corp of Engineers did extensive studies of the minerals, and land forms in this part of Colombia when they were exploring the mighty Orinoco," said Gonzalo. "I studied their lengthy report, and nowhere did they mention anything about discovering a new radioactive material. Whoever did this amazing mural had to be more advanced than us. Only a higher form of intelligence would have endured the tremendous difficulty of creating such a work. They must have been intensely motivated to communicate what I assume has to be a vital message, for future creatures."

"There you go again," said Hank, "attributing motivation without giving any evidence."

"The mural is here, and its complexity is evidence enough that there was serious intent on the part of its creators to send a message into the future," said Gonzalo.

"And they had the good sense to use this interior cave wall, with the hope their message would survive the ravages of time," said Laura. "And furthermore, any creatures who could travel through space to reach earth would have to be, as you say Professor, more intelligent than man, because they would have had to master the problem of time travel."

"I don't know about you two, but I've had just about enough of fantasy speculation. Let's see what Jess has to say about flying us to Ahuntipec," said Hank.

The intense sun blinded them momentarily as they came out of the cave. Hank was the first to notice that the Severski was missing. Leaving his protective suit in the grass in front of the opening, he jogged down to the communications tent.

"Where's our plane Stu?"

"Jess got a panic call from Arumba. The DEA choppers raided his camp and wiped out a lot of his men. Jess loaded up our zambos, and went to join in the fight."

"Can you contact Jess?"

"His signal is fading in an out. He must be on the ground at Arumba's camp."

"Get him on the blower for me."

"Jess this is Atabapo, do you read me over?"

"In and out Stu. I'll get airborne. That should improve my reception. Try me again in about five. Over, and out." The few minutes it took for Jess to get back on the radio seemed endless. Hank paced nervously behind Stu, wondering if his friend would be safe.

"Atabapo, this is Severski. How do you read? Over."

"Jess it's Hank. Reading you five square. What's happened?"

"Obispo's men wrecked Arumba's camp, killing most of his zambos."

"And Arumba?

"Apparently he was captured before I got here. They've taken him to Bogota."

"What about you?"

"I'll be heading back. The men I brought, want to stay behind in case there's another attack. Give us about an hour and a half. Tell the others not to worry. And tell Estrelle I miss her, and I'm glad I decided to leave her at the site. She'll know what I mean."

Estrelle stood by, listening to Jess on the speaker. When he mentioned her name, she turned away, her shoulders began shaking with emotion, as she quietly cried. Laura put her arm around the young woman and led her out of the tent.

"I feel so silly crying like a stupid little school girl. I should be glad Jess is safe. You have no idea how frightened I was when Arumba called for help. Jess practically ran to the plane, yelling orders at the zambos to grab their weapons and come with him. He's that way. I love him so much Laura. If anything happened to him, I don't know what I would do."

"Nothing is going to happen. You heard him say he would be back in about an hour."

"An hour and a half. He said an hour and a half."

"You're right. He did say an hour and a half." For the first time, Laura realized the innocence of this young woman everyone had taken for granted. She had been coerced into joining the Atabapo team to spy for the General in an attempt to save her imprisoned father. This was a lot to expect from a young person who had fallen in love with an attractive, philandering middle age scientist. It was no wonder she was so upset when he charged off to battle.

"You know yourself what a wonderful man he is."

"Yes I do. Jess is one of a kind. He was lucky you were there to help him after the attack by Barbarosa. You are a true friend Estrelle."

"Thank you Dr. Laura. I've been worried that maybe you hated me for taking Jess."

"I was upset at first. But believe me. You never took Jess. No one takes Jess. He is his own man. Not many men would risk their lives, rushing off to help his friend like that. I've never hated you darling Estrelle. As a matter of fact, I'm going to miss you when we go back to the states." Laura felt compassion for this young woman, who for a brief moment, had revealed her true vulnerability.

"Can I ask you something personal?"

"Of course. What is it?"

"Do you know anything about his wife?"

"Only what he has told me."

"Do you think he loves her?"

"The way Jess puts it, he says he loves her, but he's not in love with her. Whatever that means. Why do you ask?"

"Now that my father has died, there really is no reason for me to stay in Colombia. I could go back to the states with all of you, and continue my studies there."

"What can I say. I think you and Jess need to talk about it. After all, he will be going back to his wife. That's what all the field workers do." There was a trace of cynicism in her answer.

"Thank you Dr. Laura. I'll do it. I'll have a long talk with Jess. He'll know what we should do."

"He always does. How would you like to put on a pot of tea?"

"I'd like that." Estrelle released Laura's hand and headed for the dining tent, a brisk pace in her step. There was a renewed vigor in her movement.

Jess had been delayed returning, due to a sudden foray just prior to his departure. Sizing up the risk, he decided they should not return to Atabapo without the men who had come with them. Landing their plane, they ran out and took cover in the surrounding jungle. Together, he and Tomaso fought the attackers attempting to board the Severski, while their zambos scurried back to the aircraft.

Hank had tried several times to contact him, but was unsuccessful. "I'm worried. It's been three hours since we last heard from them."

"If those attackers come here, we wouldn't have a chance," said Gonzalo. "At least if we had your helicopter, we could get out of here."

"Jess'll make it," assured Laura. "He had some close calls when he was fighting in Viet Nam. You don't get the Congressional Medal of Honour because you ran away from a fight."

"That's your country's highest military honour," said the Professor.

"It certainly is," added Hank proudly. "Jess managed to free two downed jet pilots from a prisoner of war camp in North Viet Nam, at great risk to himself. You'll never hear him say anything about it."

"I tried to find out what happened," said Laura. "Jess said it was something that happened in another life. He says very little about the war. In fact he claims the U.S. should never have been in Viet Nam in the first place. He said it wasn't like the big war in Europe. That was an honourable war, against a genuine tyrant. Jess felt his flying in Viet Nam, was like being an ambulance driver in the Spanish civil war. The greater the stress, the calmer Jess gets. It's one of his great strengths."

"I wish we could get him on the radio. Would you please try again Stuart," asked Estrelle.

A few more anxious minutes passed until they heard his familiar voice. "Sorry to keep you waiting. I decided we shouldn't come back without our zambos. We're all okay, and should be at Atabapo in about forty-five minutes."

This time everyone cheered. No one felt embarrassed to express their great joy their friend had done it again.

"You've gotta love a guy like that," said Hank, a deep sigh of relief, as he hugged the two women who were jumping up and down like two excited school girls. "We do," they both agreed, then laughing nervously Laura added, "And we love you too Hank."

Read other novels by William James Johnson at www.noozoon.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home