NOOZOON - New Life

This is where I -- artist, novelist and curmudgeon, William James Johnson -- hang out. Drop in to find out how much mischief an old guy like me can get into.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

I walk five miles every day in the beautiful park across the road. I have regular friends who in our discussions are trying to solve the world's problems. So far we haven't found any answers. But the journey keeps going on.

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Trees Hold Up the Sky 25 William James Johnson

They were still debating the extraordinary meter findings long after dinner ended. Becoming bored with the subject, Laura asked Monica if she would like to join her in an evening walk. The temperature had moderated considerably when the sun went down, and there was even a slight chill in the air.

"Don't wander off," warned Hank. "And make sure you take your handgun with you Laura."

"Is he serious?" asked Monica

"I sure am," said Hank. "You never can tell if those cartel thugs might return. Even if you didn't shoot at them, a pistol shot will bring us running to help you."

"We'll be okay Hank," assured Laura. She pulled back her sweater, revealing the small weapon which had always been at her side since the Barbarosa attack.

The evening air had a delicate scent of mouldy vegetation. Monica reacted to the decaying odour . "Do you ever get used to the smell?"

"Don't even notice it anymore. Familiarity with the smells and sounds in the jungle gives me a feeling of confidence. Thanks for coming with me Monica. I wanted to get away from the others so that I could ask you what you really thought about what happened in the cave."

"I believe the suits Ama has designed will protect you from almost anything. The scientists working on viruses and recombinant DNA experiments, all use his equipment. Ama is a genius. We're lucky he came to America."

"He seems very pleasant."

"That's more of an ethnic characteristic. He bends over backward to avoid offending anyone. He has another fault which I think will do him in before old age."

"What's that?"

"He's a workaholic. He gets by on catnaps. His wife, a gorgeous model from Pakistan, moved out about a year ago after Ama had a room set aside at Bethesda where he could recharge his body without having to go home. We all saw it coming. No one wanted to talk to Ama about it. He kept his private life to himself. She had been gone three weeks before he was aware of it. I'll never understand how people can make such a commitment. I know I couldn't do it."

"In a way, your Dr. Khan sounds a bit like me."

"You are a remarkable woman Laura. Ama was telling me about some of your adventures. It was fascinating."

"It seemed so at the time. Now its beginning to feel like my life is flying past, and I haven't found that so-called meaningful relationship that would change it all."

"You've been married though, haven't you?"

"For awhile. All my travelling soon put an end to that."

"What happened? Another woman?"

"I wish. No. It happened while I was away. He said he couldn't stand the loneliness, and began seeing some of his buddies at the faculty club. That's when he discovered he liked men more than me. It was game over. I think I could have handled it better if it had been a woman. Losing your man to another man is not the greatest thing in my book." She suddenly realized she was telling her more than she wanted. "I don't know why I'm telling you this. A perfect stranger. I've never spoken this way to Estrelle."

"Estrelle is still practically a child," said Monica. "You needed someone like me who has been around the track. I get the feeling you've been wanting to do this for some time. You probably would find it difficult to speak like this to your friends. I'll be here for just a few days, and then I'm gone. We may never see each other again."

"You may be right. Jess was saying the same thing when we were flying here. He said people have intimate conversations on planes because they don't think the stranger who is listening to their story will ever see them again. So tell me about yourself Monica. Are you married? Do you fool around like Jess says."

"That's the second time you've referred to Jess. He's a very attractive man, and he knows it," said Monica.

"I love Jess. And Hank. They're quite different."

"Love? As in now and forever?"

"No. I'm not that stupid. They both have wives waiting back home. But that doesn't stop them from wanting to get it on once in awhile."

"Leave it to the men. The world rotates around that little chunk of gristle they share with us from time to time."

Laura roared with great laughter, as if someone had finally given her permission to rid herself of the heavy burden of the rape, and the loss of Arturo. "What a wonderful expression, a chunk of gristle. Believe me, those two guys know how to use their guided muscles to devastate the silken targets which come their way."

It was Monica's turn to laugh at the Victorian euphemism her new friend had just invented. "I think it's about time you all got out of this sexual jungle and came back to the dull routine of academia. I'm jealous of how you seem to be able to adjust to whatever opportunity is out there."

"You still haven't told me about yourself," remarked Laura.

"I don't know if I should. You'll probably think I'm just making it up, because of what you've told me."

"Fair is fair. Don't leave anything out."

Monica touched her gently on the shoulder, and her beautiful green eyes moistened as she spoke. "I haven't had the good luck with men that you've had. It began when I was only eight years old, and a teenage babysitter showed me his thing and asked me to pump it up and down. He rubbed me while I helped him get off, and it was really exciting. So much so, I told my parents all about it, and my father, who was one of those genuine bible thumping preachers, threatened me with a one way ticket to hell. And believe me, the way he described it, you would think he was born and raised there."

" I don't see why you said I would think you were just making it up. There are many kids, whose first sexual experience was at the hands of someone they trusted."

"True. But in my case, my holier than thou father and that thing that passed as my mother, put a permanent crimp in my sexual development. I had very little experience with boys and men after that."

"What a damn shame. You are a stunning looking woman Monica. I'm surprised Jess hasn't put a hit on you yet."

Monica laughed at this. "He did indirectly. But I can assure you he would have been disappointed."

"You don't know Jess."

"No. But I do know me. What I've been trying to say, and haven't been doing very well, is that I prefer relationships with women who are out there doing their own thing, who are not afraid to let another woman into their life."

"Are you saying you're a lesbian?"

"I think that term limits me too much. Sex is such a small part of this. I prefer being close to a female partner who knows first hand what problems I might be experiencing as a woman. Men tend to be too selfish when it comes to making a woman feel fulfilled."

"Now I am surprised. I told you about my husband leaving me for a man, and now you tell me that you prefer women. All I can say Monica, is there must be some guy out there who would give his left nut to jump on your bones."

"My gawd woman! Where did you get such a dirty mouth?"

They both burst into laughter as they approached their tent. Jess was having a beer with Hank. "Sounds like you two have gotten into the hard stuff. Why don't you let us in on the joke?"

Monica accepted the challenge. "Just girl talk. Biological clocks and things like that."

"Girls have always interested me," replied Jess, his unsubtle way of trying to involve them in his favorite subject.

"We should all get a good night's sleep," interrupted Hank. "Ama wants to take the blood tests in the morning, and return to Washington tomorrow night."

"What's his hurry?" asked Laura, disappointed she would have so little time to spend with her new friend.

"It's like I told you", said Monica. "What most would take a week to do, our Dr. Khan completes in a few hours. If he has decided we are going to be back home by tomorrow, we'll be back tomorrow."

By noon the next day Ama and Monica had collected their specimens and repacked their gear for their return trip. As they flew north to the San Fernando airport, a sleek executive helicopter piloted by Captain Pedro Cervantes, with Professor Gonzalo de Quesada left Bogota.

"We couldn't ask for a nicer day to fly across Colombia," said Pedro.

" The beautiful green carpet of trees is a magnificent sight," said the Professor. "I've never been to this cave before, although I've heard a lot about it. Have you advised the Americans we are coming?"

"The General told me not to file a flight plan. He is going to be monitoring our route with DEA radar."

"I don't understand. Why would he do that?"

"The element of surprise. He wants you to see for yourself the day to day operations of the Americans at San Fernando de Atabapo without giving them a chance to prepare for your visit. I get the feeling Obispo doesn't really trust the Americans. I think he has something else in mind."

"He hasn't told me about anything else. I'm suppose to inspect and advise the General on whether or not the cave explorations should continue," said Gonzalo.

"I'm sure the General can rely on you Professor. But since we are going to have a few hours together, I was wondering sir, if it's not too much trouble, would you mind telling me about ancient Colombia? I got most of my education in the U.S. I know something about our country's current history, but I'm ignorant when it comes to our past."

"I would be delighted. You may not know it Pedro, but my ancestors were here at the start of the Spanish conquest."

"Amazing."

"My historic grandfather, Gonzalo de Quesada, a lawyer and writer, was appointed the leader of a band of 900 Spanish soldiers who left the coastal land of the Gulf of Mexico in 1536 to explore the source of the Rio Magdalena."

"Then I guess we could say your trip today, is history repeating itself," remarked Pedro. "Another de Quesada on a journey of exploration, almost five hundred years later. What is eery about all this, is that you have the same name as the first Spanish explorer."

"Well after all, we are relatives," smiled Gonzalo.

"And so you are. Please continue Professor."

"After travelling for two years in the jungle, he lost several of his men before reaching the Chibcha natives in their capital called Bacata. You know it today as Bogota, the original capital of all that area which now is divided into Venezuela, Ecuador, Panama, and Colombia."

"All claimed for their Spanish rulers."

"That's how it was done. Although his group was small in number, the natives were no match for the well trained band of soldiers. They captured the Chibchas, and enslaved them. They stole their gold, and helped to crush one of the most advanced ancient civilizations in this hemisphere."

"All in the name of Christianity."

"It would seem so," said Gonzalo, a hint of sadness in his reply.

"You're a true patriot Professor," said Pedro.

"I like to think I am, whatever that means."

"Could I ask your opinion? What do you think of Colombia's drug problem?"

"As much as I hate it, I have to admit it has given many of our poorest people a chance to break the cycle of poverty, even at the risk of being hurt by the anti-drug faction."

"Realizing this trade provides benefits for thousands of Colombians, why do you say you hate it?"

"There is so much corruption in this dirty business. Trafficking in drugs is better than gold these days. Fortunes are made overnight," said Gonzalo.

Pedro smiled at the accuracy of his remark, wondering if Gonzalo had ever seen the cache of wealth Obispo had hoarded since he began exploiting the cocaine trade. "So it's not necessarily the drug deals that disturbs you, as much as it is the men who wield the power at the top."

"Any legitimate government which is unable to crush the nefarious actions of criminals who slaughter in cold blood their supreme court judges, and burn down the halls of Justice, might as well step aside and let someone with strength of character and morality bring order back to our country."

"Like a strong man? Like Castro, or Juan Peron? Or maybe General Fernandez Obispo? Like you say, someone who can bring order back to our country," said Pedro. He waited expectantly for Gonzalo's reply. "Like our Secretary of the Interior?" asked Pedro again.

"I'm not sure about the General." replied the Professor, choosing his language carefully.

"Why not sure? If you know something about Obispo, you've got tell me Gonzalo."

"The man scares me...there I've said it," replied Gonzalo reluctantly.

"I don't know what it is you are trying to say. He scares you? Has he said something or done something which makes you say this?"

"Yes he has. You probably know more about it than I do."

"My gawd Professor, spit it out. What the hell are you talking about?"

"That horrible murder of Enrico Garvas."

"Murder. The man was an old man who would have died anyway. The guards who were trying to get him to confess about his involvement in that drug deal were too zealous. I asked Obispo about it when I heard what had happened, and he was as distraught as you. He annotated the personal records of those guards, and you can be assured they will feel the wrath of the General if they ever slip up again."

"Listen to yourself Pedro. Annotated records. Slip up. This was a cruel murder of a loyal patriot to keep him from telling the truth. They drowned the wretched soul in a tub of excrement. I don't understand why you can't see this."

"Then tell me Professor, what do you think is the truth Enrico wanted to tell us?"

"That someone, I don't know who, is at the top, making all the decisions. Whoever it is, I think that person is the most corrupt excuse for a leader our country has ever produced."

"And you think that person is General Fernandez Obispo, our Secretary of the Interior?"


"I didn't say that."
"But you suspect he might be?"

"He has opportunity, motive, and close allies who carry out his commands. Obispo is most likely the man who is behind all the corruption. I pity the person who expects General Obispo to be the savior of our beloved Colombia."

"I think you are making a mistake Professor. We need the General, and he has told me many times, he wishes you would be there, as a member of our team."

"Our team. It would seem Pedro, you've already made up your mind on which side you wish to play. I personally feel that I am a scientist, an anthropologist. I am not interested in political intrigue. But I am really afraid General Obispo will not let me make that choice. This is a treacherous man. I only hope I have the will to survive his treachery."

"I'm sorry you feel this way. Fernandez Obispo is the future of Colombia, and like your ancient relative who captured this land for Spain, I want to help him to overthrow the drug lords and give our country back to the people."

"If you truly believe this, I wish you the blessings of God. But beware Pedro. Material things often get in the way of our higher pursuits. You are still a young man. This is the time to establish your future, and the future of our beautiful country. Don't let the promises of Obispo lead you astray."

"I have great confidence in my General. It is because of him that your American friends are here, exploiting our ancient resources. It could end in the blink of an eye if the General decided to do it. He has lost interest in what is happening there. Now it depends on what you tell him. I don't think he trusts the gringos."

"You've said that before."

"And I still believe it."

Below them was the sparse airstrip outside of San Fernando de Atabapo. Pedro flew over the landing area and reduced the power. Dropping quickly below the tree line, the helicopter caressed the ground, as he brought the craft to a smooth stop in the heavy dust which whirled around them from the gravel surface. He shook hands with the Professor and wished him luck. Gonzalo was surprised he was not staying with him as Obispo had said he would, particularly if he was supposed to replace the deceased Arturo Verez. Pedro was eager to return to his boss with his decision that the Professor would not be suitable as a team member in the coup d'etat.

Grabbing a small overnight case Gonzalo hurried away from the aircraft and waved farewell as the plane turned around and headed west, back to Bogota. A lone soldier who operated the radio in the small shack adjacent to the airstrip, came out to meet him.

"Good afternoon. I am Professor Gonzalo de Quesada. Would you please contact the Atabapo site, and ask them to send someone for me."

"Of course Professor. This has been a busy place today."

"How is that?"

"The Americans left about an hour ago."

"They what?"

"One of those big U.S. helicopters took two passengers, a man and a woman."

"Have you a flight plan?"

"Si. They were Dr. Ama Khan, and Dr. Monica Lamb."

"Ask Atabapo to come and get me. And hurry. It is very important."

By the time Jess had refueled the Severski and returned to San Fernando, two hours had passed. Gonzalo couldn't stop thinking that Pedro was trying to warn him about a real danger facing the scientists at the cave.

"Estrelle is going to be very happy to see you Professor," said Jess, as they flew back to the cave.

"The poor woman must be devastated by the news about her father."

"She was at first. I think now she is relieved that his suffering is over."

"I must tell you Doctor Martin, I feel you are all in great danger on this project."

"Don't worry Professor. We are almost finished here. The last bit of recording is being done now by Hank and Laura. Dr.Ama Khan and Dr. Lamb have just returned to Washington with our blood samples. They both were convinced our protective suits have done their job. We don't have to worry anymore about the radiation danger."

"That's not the danger I am speaking about. I think General Obispo is preparing to make an attack on your site and seize all of your findings. This is a villainous man."

Jess was startled by Gonzalo's remarks. "What makes you think that? I thought you and the General were very close friends."

"Recently he has mentioned that the time is fast approaching when he will make a move to take over control of the government. He has even asked me to be a part of his coup."

"Do you believe he's serious?"

"I wouldn't be telling you if I didn't. The man has changed since he caused the death of Enrico Garvas. My spys tell me that he destroys everyone who stands in his way. He wants the public to think he is being iron fisted to crush the drug cartel. But those who really know him, claim he has been receiving huge sums of money from the illegal trafficking to buy arms for his revolution."

Hank and Laura were coming down the hill when the Severski landed. They had no idea Jess had to return to San Fernando to pick up Gonzalo. Estrelle Garvas ran towards the Professor when she spotted him following Jess out of the side hatch.

"Gonzalo! What a pleasant surprise," said Hank. "Seems the Atabapo Project is becoming a genuine tourist attraction."

Estrelle hugged Gonzalo with great feeling, sobbing quietly as he held her. Knowing the terrible ending of his friend Enrico, he embraced the young woman with the affection one shows when a loved one has died.

"Oh Professor. I've been wanting to speak to you," said Estrelle, her voice trembling with emotion.

"Of course Miss Garvas. Please accept my condolences for the passing of your father."

"So I suppose this is not just a social visit?" asked Hank.

"The General wants me to see first hand what you have discovered here."

"We've been sending you detailed reports of each days work. On occasion, Estrelle has even included confidential information."

"Like her report about Arumba and the attack he and his men thwarted. The General was really upset. By the way where is the zambo leader?" asked Gonzalo.
Jess interrupted, "He's not here now."

"That's right," said Hank. "He's recruiting and training his zambos for the revolution he thinks is going to happen in Colombia."

"That's most interesting. That was the danger I was talking about Jess," said Gonzalo. "There's no doubt in my mind that when the time is right, General Obispo and his forces will seize control of the government. Your friend Arumba's life is at great risk. Obispo's first move will probably be a pre-emptive attack on Arumba and his men."

Jess was reluctant to reveal anymore about the zambos. "How do you know this?"

"Obispo has been planning this government take over ever since he started accumulating arms and money. This was long before the Atabapo Project."

"Let's continue this conversation in our dining tent where we can have some refreshments and relax," said Hank.

As they walked from the landing pad to the tent area, Gonzalo put his arm on Estrelle's shoulder, reassuring her she could count on him in the event Obispo went ahead with his plans.

Hank passed around drinks, and all waited patiently for Gonzalo to begin.

"The General wanted me to see for myself the value in continuing with your project. The way he put it was, he didn't want to make his coup attempt if there was a risk that all of you might return home without completing your work on the cave. I'm afraid if I return and say that your discovery is of global importance, our Secretary will seize all the glory and use his attack as a way of gaining the support of the mass of Colombians in his revolution. You asked how I know about this. It happened when I learned about the cruel execution of Enrico. Apparently Obispo did not approve of me being sympathetic towards my old friend. He began to slander him, accusing him of trying to blackmail him for being involved in cartel operations. It was then that he asked me to be a member of his planning team to assist in the coup. I had to make him think that I would be interested. It was on the flight here that Pedro, his ambitious confidant and personal pilot, confirmed my suspicions that Obispo will do whatever it takes to seize power and be the ultimate ruler of Columbia. Pedro actually came right out and said the General would like to have me on his team when he makes his move."

"You are endangering yourself by these revelations," said Hank.

"It is you and your associates I'm concerned about," said Gonzalo. "Dr. Martin was saying you have almost completed the recordings of the cave symbols."

"True. A few more days will do it."

"Then I would suggest you plan to return as soon as possible to the U.S. Please do not delay more than a week. Continue sending your daily messages to buy yourself time. Include the fact that you are expecting an extension to study the sacred mountain of Ahuntipec."

"But what about you Professor?" asked Estrelle.

"I've got to return to Bogota and stall Obispo's plans until you have returned safely to your country."

"He'll kill you Gonzalo," said Hank. You can come back with us as a diplomatic refugee."

"Thank you Henry. That is most kind. But you must remember, Theresita my wife and our children. I have to stay. I am relying my position in Bogota will protect me."

"How can you say that after what happened to your judges?" asked Laura.

"I didn't say there would be no risk. My ancestors established this country. I cannot leave it in the hands of a madman. I will find a way."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home